• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Mobo=New Windows XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wondergimp

Registered
I have a Dell and was thinking about getting a new mobo so I would have AGP. If I just changed mobos and kept the old HD(w/XP on it), would I have to reinstall XP with the new mobo? I am trying to get around buying a new OS.

wondergimp said:
I have a Dell and was thinking about getting a new mobo so I would have AGP. If I just changed mobos and kept the old HD(w/XP on it), would I have to reinstall XP with the new mobo? I am trying to get around buying a new OS.
Yes....sadly you would need to re-install the OS if you change the mobo.

I would suggest buying an OEM of Windows XP Home or Pro. It is alot cheaper, and it is legal. It costs alot more to buy XP in a shrink-wrapped box.

You may be able to get away with reparing your installation of windows instead of re-installing. It's still best to back up up anything you want to keep then format and re-install fresh.

Back