• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changed mobos, windows locks upon bootup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boostdfd3s

Disabled
hey every1,
changed from a NF7-S2G to a NF7-S v2.0 for better overclockability, and now when XP pro sp2 loads up, the third set of bars just makes it onto the screen before it locks....any suggestions? Id like to have this up rather soon as it is my primary rig. POST is normal, with optimal settings loaded for the time being. XP2000+ with 1gb pc3200 bh-5.

Try running a repair install of XP, it will replace all the system files but leave all your files and programs unaffected. Just boot from the XP cd then choose R the SECOND time it asks.

no reformat. I changed from a ASUS A7N8X to the abit S2G with not a hitch, windows booted, installed the mobo drivers, and all was good. Doesnt make sense why a very similar board to the S2G would have different results than a completely different board.

On the repair note, how do i do that? I hit R in the main menu, selected my partition....then what command do i use?

Boot from the cd, it will ask if you want ot run the recovery console, say No, then it will search for previouse OS's, then it will ask you if you want ot repair the current windows install, then press R.

XP can be very fussy sometimes, I went from a shuttle AK32 to a AK32A and XP freaked out, KT266 to KT266A chipset.... I dunno, only Microsoft really knows ;)

this is easy! reinstall the os... you could pull this off on a 98 box easy, done it plenty of times, but an NT based os is more picky. i have known of others who have used the repair console on your xp cd- boot from cd and select the repair console. but if you want your rig to perform optimally and correctly, your best bet is to just reinstall the os. i mean... it's windows, you should be used to reinstalling the os by now.

when i select R it takes me into command prompt, with C:/WINDOWS and then asks for a command....what do i do then?

boostdfd3s said:
when i select R it takes me into command prompt, with C:/WINDOWS and then asks for a command....what do i do then?

You are not pressing R at the correct time, wait for it to Ask about a repain install, NOT the Recovery console. That is the first R question, you want the second.

Dont do the first option for repair, you need to do it after it sees that Windows is already installed. It is the Second time that you see Repair, that is when you do it.

like i said, even if you were able to repair it... it will run better if you just reinstall the os. you were just postponing the inevitable.

*sigh* time to pull the os drive, put it in the ext. usb case, make a list of my programs, and reinstall...one step closer to OS X

so were you able to repair install? or did you not get to that? its kinda confusing. you have to tell it you just want to install windows until the like the last question before it starts.

yeah i got it to repair the OS, and it still only made it to the third set of bars before locking up.... :(

My plan of attack for when i get off school is to throw my S2G mobo back in and if it boots up, then make a list of all the programs i need to re-install, THEN reformat and start all over. Its just boggling my mind why it worked with a ASUS to Abit switch, but wont work with a very similar (S2G to -S v2) board change over...

boostdfd3s said:
changed from a NF7-S2G to a NF7-S v2.0 for better overclockability, and now when XP pro sp2 loads up, the third set of bars just makes it onto the screen before it locks....any suggestions?
If overclocked, try running at stock speeds. The system may be unstable.

Last edited:
Back