• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Device manager incomplete?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fabulouscoops

I have been having a problem confirming that hyperthreading is indeed active on my P4 3.0C CPU.
BIOS on the Abit board (latest revision #27) is enabled and the startup text screen says HT active but no windows application will confirm that including the OS, SiSandra and CPUID, The Intel HT test utility says there is a problem with the BIOS but I have discoverd that that app only works for Intel brand boards. I flashed the BIOS anyway from ver 25 to ver 27 with no luck.
Sandra says "HT ... no", and gives a warning that HT is not enabled and not all OS support it. "check config."
I was given advice on the Abit forum to check the Windows device manager to see how many CPUs were listed. Going to control panel\hardware\device manager shows my components but no section for processor or CPU. I have Win XP home SP2. Do I have a bad installation? What is the best way to repair this or to show that HT is enabled.
Thanks

Set defaults ins BIOS, then adjust settings.
If that does do work, clear the CMOS, then set settings.

Boomstick said:
When I use Task Manager (Alt-Ctrl-Del) I have 2 CPU graphs.

I have one graph.
On my other machine I have a 3.0E prescott running on an Intel board and everything I check confirms two CPU's or HT is enabled.

I will try reseting the BIOS but since I just flashed and the BIOS reports that HT is enabled, I think it is a Windows issue.

Booted from a default BIOS then reset to my settings and rebooted. No change. BIOS reports that HT is enabled but windows does not recognise it.
I just did a repair install of Win XP home with HT enabled in the BIOS and the problem persists. The new version of SISandra (2005) now reports "HTT...yes" but gives the same warning at the end of the processor section that it is disabled and to check config. Task manager shows one CPU graph. :bang head

I know this is not a huge problem since it seems my computer is operating normally, but it is annoying to not have windows acknowledge hyperthreading and I worry that maybe performance is down 20% or so and I don't see it because I am overclocking. My next option would be a full reinstall but if there is any way to avoid that I would try it first. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Back