• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, I lost access to one my partitions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebuchadnazzar

I was using win2k for a long time with no problems until one day it boots up and says that a system file is corrupt and it won't boot up. So after trying desperately to repair it, i just decided to install winXP, but now i've lost the ability to alter my drive D:. I can read from D but i can't delete, or move any files to or from the partition. With win2k i had a password and username to login, so now i think it may just consider me as a guest. Is there anyway to fix this, i can't see any security settings in the drive's properties.
Any help will be appreciated

a few solutions:

-try disabling "use simple file sharing"
-convert the drive to FAT32 using Partition Magic, that should remove any security policies on the drive.

if you check security settings on a folder on the D drive, who is listed as the owner? I've had to change owner settings in the past when chaning from one OS to another

alright i got it all fixed, and sorted out.
I installed win2k on another harddrive and logged in as admin. I changed the permissions to give full access to all users, and i removed the old users. I pulled the win2k hdd and now i seem have full access.

Back