• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parental Control software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrl_atc

Stop laughing; I don't know where else to ask this question.

My brother called me last night to ask me if I know what he needs to monitor the internet habits of my niece's and nephew's, and block things that they should not be viewing. I have never had to worry about this, so I am in the dark. Does anybody have any recommendations or advice on what works and what doesn't?

well you can watch what they see in history and temp int files and i dont know anysoftware really to block or whatnot or how to block ive also never had to do it. i remember at school back in middle school the computers had surf watch and it kept us out of all that stuff

this rings a bell!!!
when a was a little kid and did naughty things, my dad would check the history, temp files, ext
i just deleted all of them! hehe
but, today there's only one thing that could solve this problem, and it would be this
it can be had for $70, but the big thing about this wireless router is that you can set it up so that everyone who uses it can have to log in and you can restrict content, website, and even the amount of hours they use! or you can simply monitor it. for this service there is a monthly charge because they are loging into linksys's server which cant be modified/accesed by anyonce xcept the admin (aka you)
so, id say this is the best/most extreme way of handling a situation like this.
-my parents got darn thing!- but they just "monitor" me
lol

trutech74 said:
well you can watch what they see in history and temp int files and i dont know anysoftware really to block or whatnot or how to block ive also never had to do it. i remember at school back in middle school the computers had surf watch and it kept us out of all that stuff
I used a proxy to get past that :)

if he's using a service like aol to access the net, the person with the primary account can see where the other users go on the net. they also have as built in parental control tool i think

comparison of some blocking software: http://www.neosoft.com/parental-control/

This is a site which explains the host file: http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

These can be circumvented by older kids with a little knowledge but with the younger ones these should work pretty well. You also have to be very aggresive about spyware and adware removal if adults are also going to be using the computer;) The router idea looks good too.

Back