• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Screwed Something Up: Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,

a few days ago i changed the location of the virtual memory on my computer to another harddrive. Yesterday I wanted to reverse the change and return the virtual memory back to my original harddrive but now I have a problem. When I start up the computer, windows sits at "Loading Personal ...." for about 5 minutes before slowly opening up the desktop.... and the start button is missing. When I try to copy things or move things, the paste button will not work. After about 3 minutes of use, a windows popup shows up and says that it has to shut down the computer, and gives me a minute to save any settings.

Ive tried setting the virtual memory back to its original spot, to the other drive, to windows default, and still the same problem persists.

Any idea? I dont want to have to reinstall windows again.

have you checked for a virus? normally, when windows tells you it is going to shutdown, a critical system process has been terminated. Many viruses are known to cause this.

Back