• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Data Revocery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Ok I have two HDD that every now and then I change the master to the slave and slave to master. This time when I did it though I had some problam getting my bios to detect my HDD it finally did. I did what I needed on my old HDD and made my new one the master once more. It had a boot problam though saying it could not find C:\winodows\Drivers\Ntfs.sys and I should do a repair install. So I did now it loads past that point but tells me there was a boot error do I want to load windows normal in safe mode or last know good config. I have tried them all but everyone loads for about 3 seconds and my PC restarts. I have tried taking out all my hardware with no help. So I finally decided to just copy my files from my new HDD to my old one and reinstall windows. There is a problam though, since my account is password protected it wont let me copy files from my new HDD to my old one. I know the password but have no place to type it in since windows on that HDD is not running. I really need thoughs files since they are things like SP2, Linux, 3dmark, PhotoShop. PandaAntivirus and many many more. I am onn 56k so redownloading all of my files would probaly take over 1 month if I redownloaded it all. So my question is how can I get these files? Can I do it through command promt or is there even a way? Also I do have the password so is there any way I can just type it in?

New HDD=SP2
Old HDD=SP1
Both Running XP home

there's a few options you can try.

-convert the drive to FAT32. That will remove any security.
-Use data recovery software like GetBackNTFS or Ontrack's Easy Recovery Pro.
-disable simple file sharing, and create a user with the same username/password as the one on the hard drive you wish to access.

ok thanks for the help I will try these. I converted to fat32 once and remebered it said I may lose data any one know how often this is? Also what do you mean simple file sharing?

Haha wish I saw that this morning since I didnt know what to type in the repair consol window I just reparied all of windows. That file now though is fixed the problam is windows wont load it just restarts. Any way I will try the switching to fat32 tonight also I emailed MS says it will take 1 day.

Is your working hard drive formatted NTFS as well? If so, you should be able to take ownership of files from one hard drive to the other. But first you will have to disable simple file sharing.

If your working hard drive is FAT32, you will have to take ownership by logging into safe mode (normal mode does not let you access security functions because simple file sharing is always on by default).

If you have questions about how to take ownership of files/folders, check here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech#3. It's really quite simple.

Thats what I did. I went to install windows agreed to the agreement let it scan my system and picked the partition to install on. Hit R to do reapri install. Thats whats wierd thouhg it restarted after installing like normal and got past bios but then said do I want to boot in safemode, normal, few other options. I mean I just did a repair install so I figured that window of crap would be gone. Any way I thouhgt it was just in its memory so I picked normal and boom my PC restarts so I pick last known good config. Again it restarts same thing for safe mode right as I pick one my pc restarts. (BTW safemode gets up to the finaly thing before it restarts where it says loading somthing like agsBus.39y

cool didnt see your onwership post. I will try this though it looks promising so thanks. Also on my working HDD I have 2 partitions main on is NTFS backup is fat32

Small problam I think simple file sharing is on and folder options is gone in my XP. Its wierd but under tools, there is no folder options, same thing for control panel. There is a Icon for folder options in the tool bar but when I click it nothing. So is there a command to turn simple file sharing off?

Back