• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant get rid of this file...HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGray34

Registered
I cant get rid of the spyware file istsvc.exe

I used adaware and spybot and it says it needs to restart windows and remove it and it cant remove it. I tried manually deleting it and it cant do that either says it is in use...How do I get rid of this?

CTRL+ALT+DEL and end the process, then quickly delete it. If you still can't remove it, try booting to safe mode.

The reason you can't delete it is because it's in memory, and windows won't let you delete anything that's in use.

Ya know what Longhorn really needs?
"This file is currentelly in use. If you delete it, you may end an important task on your computer and possibally cause your computer to crash. Are you sure you want to delete this file?"
:)

i tried that...it still dosent work......it still says it is in use after i end the task

It might be re-initializing itself. Boot to safe mode and do the same thing. If that still doesnt work, there's probably another program that is residing on your computer that is "replicating" that file every time you try to terminate it.

I did some research and I found a removal tool that is provided by the spyware company themself, so beware if you decide to use it, as I have no idea if it has any intent on removing its brother from your computer, or just start giving birth to even more infestation. The link is:

http://www.slotchbar.com/remove.html

I have no idea what it does, and I'm not going to test it out ;).

you can try using the recovery console from a win2k cd (i think winxp would have it too) and use dos commands to delete the file.
cd <directory name> ,to change directories (cd .. , back 1 folder)
dir ,lists the files in the directory
del <filename> deletes a file

Nebuchadnazzar said:
you can try using the recovery console from a win2k cd (i think winxp would have it too) and use dos commands to delete the file.
cd <directory name> ,to change directories (cd .. , back 1 folder)
dir ,lists the files in the directory
del <filename> deletes a file

That's what I do in a nutshell. I have had this problem three or four times in the past month. Basically, I just boot using a windows xp cd. I run recovery console and use the dos commands to delete the file. If you have a fat32 file system you can use a windows 98 startup disk, but if you use ntfs you have to use a windows xp setup cd (because windows 98 can't detect or read ntfs based file systems). Then just follow what Nebuchadnazzar said:

cd foldername
del filename.extension

Best of luck!
:)

Matt

Back