• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing hard disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrm1957

I'm going to change out the 2 30gb hard drives in my XP home machine to a single 120gb hard drive. I want to save all the info from both drives to the new one so I won't have to reformat. Can I do this by using the windows file transfer ? If I remove the secondary 30 and hook up the 120 as the slave, partition and format it then transfer the files to new drive ? Then move the 120 to the primary and install the other 30 as slave and copy all that to the 120. Is this correct way to go about this ?

what i would do is install the 120 as master, format and install windows and all the programs you want on it. Then hook the 30's up as master and transfer what you want off of them.

If you're asking if you can transfer your windows partition to the 120 gig drive from the 30 gig, it is possible but i haven't heard of many people having a whole lot of luck with it. From my personal experience, it didn't work for beans and it took me longer to try and fix it than if i just installed windows to begin with.

Yeah, I have had the same difficulties. While some programs do allow you to do this (and your harddrive formatting floppy/cd might have this option), you are probably better off just reinstalling everything on the new harddrive so you dont have to worry about problems.

Back