• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible to burn a dual layer movie?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I have been looking at software for archival purposes and it seems most programs that burn dvds have to compress the data so it will fit on one layer. I don't have a dvd burner yet, but I know dual layer ones are available. Is there any software that can make use of both layers to burn a DVD video?

And what is the deal?! by law we can make a copy of any media we buy, but they are allowed to put copy protection on it? isn't that denying our right?

As of now, I just need a burner, because I have dvdshrink and nero. Is it worth getting a dual layer burner? Or is there no software able to burn a dvd movie to both layers.

but isn't the whole purpose of dvd shrink to shrink the dvd down to one layer?!?! Has anyone done this using dvd shrink in combination with nero 6?

will any copy of nero 6 support dual layer dvd burning?

If your DVDRW supports for burning dual layer media, which most do, then you can use software to make 1:1 copies. Obviously this is not generally a hardware issue but more of which software you use to get the best results which is why you shouldnt have posted in the hardware section. Have this moved ASAP.

DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter will allow you to shrink the DVD Movie to a size that will fit onto a Single Layer DVD. But you have to choose what to sacrifice. Picture quality (i.e. via Compression) or your Extras, Languages, Menus, Etc? If your movie has DTS and DD....then you may need to choose.

DL (Dual Layer) burning works fine with Nero 6. As long as you have DL DVD Burner.

thanks for all those tips, guys. I am familiar with using dvd decrypter to extract the vob files and audio tracks, but not making and image. Do you make an .iso of the dvd, and then when your burn the image in nero, nero knows to use 2 layers? if someone could post a little guide or the main steps and clicks I would really appreciate it ;)

But I will definitely get a dual layer burner now. I have always been a fan of plextor, but lite-on is very popular as well.

TMPGEnc version 1.6 supports dual layer burning as does Nero 6.3 Ultra Edition.
As stated by Hurk there is a difference between single and dual layer disks with the latter being vastly more expensive. You can not burn a dual layer onto a normal DVD+R or -R without compressing it it must be a Dual Layer disk
Personally speaking I find that TMPGEnc creates the most fluid change between disk layers with other applications making this transition more obvious.
I have also found compatibility problems with certain makes of DVD players in the home using this type of disk when the players in question support traditional dvd r media without problem

If you want direct copies, you could always just use 2 single layer disks, instead of a single dual layer. That's what a buddy of mine does for most of his, since single layer DVD's are pretty cheap. I would say a DL drive isn't worth it if you already have a decent SL one. If you don't have a DVD burner, and you want one, then definately go DL. I'm told that you can't go wrong with this one.

I use DVD Shrink and getting a DL burner for x-mas. Don't plan on usng DL disks much right now but hey I got the option down the road if I do want to.

As for making a 1:1 copy yes DVD Shrink can just don't select any compression options wahla 1:1 copy. All the files come out just like whats on the DVD no image file at all. Then all you have to do is drag what you want into the burning software of your choice and burn away on your DL disk, tada done.

But as said I wouldn't be suprised if many home players didn't play the new DL disks. Since well they are new, and still profecting the mass production process of them. I mean at nearly $10 a disk they gotta be doing something wrong and/or making a hell of a lot of profit.

there seems to be some debate on wether or not it's worth it to buy a DL burner. here was my reasoning:

since DL technology is pretty new, DL discs are hard to come buy and not very reliable. this makes the demand for DL burners low, thus making it easy to find a DL burner for around 70 bucks. once DL discs become more reliable, there will be a higher demand and manufacter's will begin to make more, increasing the supply and lowering the costs of the DL discs. but this will probably cause the DL burners to become more expensive in the future. I'm not an economics major, but we've seen in the past the same thing happen with cd-r and dvd-r discs. i hope i could help some of the people still on the fence.

Not to mention i had "heard" that alot of dual layer burnt disks - the last few 100mb's are often unreadable or you get errors.

Also, if your doing "backup" it is suggested not to burn faster then 4x speed.

Ewww burnt the disks??? Ouch thats not right at all, you know which ones it happened with???

Back