• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows partially crashes??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGray34

Registered
Im not sure what it is, but let me try to describe it. I will be doing anything in windows...my screen will disapear, just the background will remain...then it will come back in about two seconds like nothing ever happened....

What is this?

How do I fix it?

Thanks

My machine blue screens with no text, just a plain blue screen. Now that's weird, your problem is just explorer.exe crashing and restarting.

You are having exlporer.exe crashes... This was more common on windows 95/98, but certain things can trigger this in xp also.

You need to determine what is going on when this occurs. Are you overclocked? Is your machine free of infections from virii or malware? Are you ending a program that is frozen? If you are playing games does this occur?

Ya spyware free, virus free, behing a firewall....I am usually just browsing the web using mozilla...it has happened with ie6 also...just regular stuff causes it to crash. Is there anyway to reload a fresh copy of explorer.exe?

Check for the latest version of your device drivers. I had this problem, only to discover it was being caused by an old driver for my joypad.

Spyware gets explorer.exe to crash for me. I got 300 instances of spyware from one download, and explorer crashed twice in the removal process.

AGray34 said:
Ya spyware free, virus free, behing a firewall....I am usually just browsing the web using mozilla...it has happened with ie6 also...just regular stuff causes it to crash. Is there anyway to reload a fresh copy of explorer.exe?

You could always place the hard drive in another computer and have it as a secondary drive and copy a new explorer.exe onto the hard drive, but I doubt that will do too much. Usually it is something else triggering explorer.exe to have those types of problems, like spyware and virii, which was said above. Just make absolutely certain that you are free of these issues.
Good luck!
:)

Matt

As said above something seems to be conflicting with it cuasing it to close. Run CheckDisk, get latest drivers, run windows update and check for spyware.

If you want to make sure the explorer.exe is the right version...

Issue a sfc /scannow command at the run prompt, and this will compare all your system files to the versions they should be - if they are different, they will be replaced with the proper version.

You could also do this manually for the single explorer file - obtain a known good copy. Save it on your computer in a temporary file. Open up the command prompt and enter a COMP or FC command. Keep in mind I am not certain what exactly is compared, but I do know that these commands will tell you what is different. Explanations and syntax for these commands follow:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>fc /?
Compares two files or sets of files and displays the differences between
them

FC [/A] [/C] [/L] [/LBn] [/N] [/OFF[LINE]] [/T] [/U] [/W] [/nnnn]
   [drive1:][path1]filename1 [drive2:][path2]filename2
FC /B [drive1:][path1]filename1 [drive2:][path2]filename2

/A         Displays only first and last lines for each set of differences.
  /B         Performs a binary comparison.
  /C         Disregards the case of letters.
  /L         Compares files as ASCII text.
  /LBn       Sets the maximum consecutive mismatches to the specified
             number of lines.
  /N         Displays the line numbers on an ASCII comparison.
  /OFF[LINE] Do not skip files with offline attribute set.
  /T         Does not expand tabs to spaces.
  /U         Compare files as UNICODE text files.
  /W         Compresses white space (tabs and spaces) for comparison.
  /nnnn      Specifies the number of consecutive lines that must match
             after a mismatch.
  [drive1:][path1]filename1
             Specifies the first file or set of files to compare.
  [drive2:][path2]filename2
             Specifies the second file or set of files to compare.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>comp /?
Compares the contents of two files or sets of files.

COMP [data1] [data2] [/D] [/A] [/L] [/N=number] [/C] [/OFF[LINE]]

data1      Specifies location and name(s) of first file(s) to compare.
  data2      Specifies location and name(s) of second files to compare.
  /D         Displays differences in decimal format.
  /A         Displays differences in ASCII characters.
  /L         Displays line numbers for differences.
  /N=number  Compares only the first specified number of lines in each file.
  /C         Disregards case of ASCII letters when comparing files.
  /OFF[LINE] Do not skip files with offline attribute set.

To compare sets of files, use wildcards in data1 and data2 parameters.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>sfc /?

Microsoft(R) Windows XP Windows File Checker Version 5.1
(C) 1999-2000 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved

Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Mi
crosoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/REVERT] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHESIZE=x]

/SCANNOW        Scans all protected system files immediately.
/SCANONCE       Scans all protected system files once at the next boot.
/SCANBOOT       Scans all protected system files at every boot.
/REVERT         Return scan to default setting.
/PURGECACHE     Purges the file cache.
/CACHESIZE=x    Sets the file cache size.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>

Back