• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro file encrypting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G-PHoRCe

:-/ :confused: i had some windows xp pro problem and had to erase the partitions. when i reinstalled windows pro on the computer under the same login name and same computer name, i couldn't open the files that i have backed up (which were encrypted with windows itself) either now i'm stuck and cannot open my saved files.
do you know of anyway to bypass the windows encryption and open my files so i can use them again? :confused:

Microsoft KB said:
NOTE: Only the user who encrypts a file can recover data that has been encrypted, unless the user specifies a recovery agent before they encrypted the files. To make sure that you have the ability to decrypt files in the future, you should always export your certificate and private key and keep them in a safe place. For additional information about how to to this, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308993&sd=tech

Without finding a special app to decrypt it by brute force, your ******

I don't have the certificate neither the private key anymore since the partition was formatted. What special app can I use to decrypt it?

Back