• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad_pool_caller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastametz

I keep getting the BSOD on the family comp... i added two front intake fans.... formatted....reinstalled windows...updated all drivers... still no joy...i dunno what to do...i'm not OCing or anything...

Last edited:
i just ran it...passed no errors... prime95 fails in less than a minute however... no clue why...

* I should probably add that i don't get the BSOD on boot, it just does it out of the blue all the time.

Last edited:
Did this version of windows ever run well on this machine? Have you had it installed previously without problems?

Its probably occuring because your OS is downloaded - look in your sig for the reason - "Windows XP Pro Corporate SP2". Where do you purchase the corporate edition? :eh?: I would obtain a legitimate copy of XP then try your luck again. It is quite possible that downloaded files can be altered or missing components.

If you wanted to test it anyways, I would run another program which loads your CPU, like toast (available at www.majorgeeks.com), and see if just warming up your CPU causes the error. If you are lucky, it will just be a poor thermal paste application or HS mount.

Mastametz said:
I keep getting the BSOD on the family comp...
the one in my sig is my personal computer...not family comp... family comp was built by a store... has one of those goddam recovery disks and not a real windows disk... it worked fine for awhile on the first install (this being the second), and then after some time it just decided to stop working well. In an attempt to fix it i (sort of) removed the thermal pad and put on AS:V.... that thermal pad doesn't come off very well. If all else fails i'll try cleaning it better and re-applying AS:V.

temps are fine..i won't bother reapplying paste for now (i'm lazy). but the BSOD normally occurs when logging off. it does it at other times too, but that's most common...dunno if that helps any...

It sounds like you are getting poor contact because the pad didn't get removed completely... If you are fairly sure that isn't worth trying, then you should download the latest driver versions for all your components from the manufacturer websites.

well i already tried the driver thing.. how could the first thing be the problem if temps are fine? is certain parts of the core getting hotter than others that are read by the diode or what?

I take it the family comp is an OEM comp. You said you just put some more fans on it, and pretty much rulled out a cooling issue. Memtest shows nothing either, It probably isn't the processor since it will boot to windows. I'm leaning towards the PSU, maybe it just started to die. OEM comps are notorius for having bad PSU's in them. If not that, have you checked the HD for errors, viri, or spyware?

uh, the important voltages appear to be right on target, dunno about the negative ones...
also, core1 is the ram voltage. isnt most ram today rated for 2.6 volts to run stock?

Back