• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transparent Desktop Icons: XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duger

Recently, I noticed that the icons on my desktop no longer have a transparent background. They all have drop shadows in whatever the background color is set to. This wouldn't be as inconvenient if I had a solid colored background, but I don't.
I've already tried going to control panel>system and deselecting the option to use drop shadows, like Help and many websites say to do, but nothing happened. I rebooted, and nothing changed. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

Right-click on your desktop and uncheck "Lock Web Items on Desktop" | Open "System Properties" | "Advanced" tab | Performance-->"Settings" button | Visual Effects | Place a check next to "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop", then click on "Apply".

Thanks for your advice, but that didn't help. "Lock Web Items on Desktop" was already unchecked, and when I checked "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and applied it, nothing happened.
When the problem started happening, these two settings were already in place. I have tried unchecking "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop," but it changes nothing.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

when you dont use jpg or gif for your backround and use a file such as .png or something u get that. it happened to me before

Back