• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dynamic Dns not working?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

This is rather annoying. I have been too poor to reregister my dns2go account but i need some kind of a photodump. i was tempted to go with photobucket, but i dont like my stuff being on a remote server when i can host locally, have 100% control of it and its free.

Soo. i checked out this dynDNS service as a freebie alternative to my existing dns2go that has since expired..
I run an apache web server and the dynDNS updater client which scans for ip changes every 10 mintues and updates on the server. basicly the same thing as dns2go but free and not as many options for domains.

Im pretty sure i dissabled the wrong services though under win2k because although my computer is fully useable as a workstation and gaming box with full internet ability, it doesnt seem to work with ddns for some reason.
Its possible my connection wont let me do it, but my friend runs this service on his telus too. so dunno.
any ideas? im mostly just curious about what services i should be running for it to work. if im able to go online with games and firefox as well as IM i should be able to run an http server. i think ill reinstall apache and the junk. but.. help T_T

I run DirectUpdate as my DNS Updater, and ZoneEdit as my DNS provider.

DirectUpdate is "shareware", but as far as I know, you can keep using it past the free trial. There is no spyware/adware attached, and makes a very good client to match your DNS settings to your dynamic IP.

ZoneEdit is free as well. It gives you [x] number of points when you start. If you want to buy more points, they are relatively cheap. You can spend those points on spiffy ZoneEdit options (none of which I have ever needed yet). The free points that you initually get are sufficient for just about any personal use.

If you'de prefer not to use your own domain, look into No-IP.com. I run both zoneedit/directupdate and no-ip. I rarely have problems with them.

If you want to stick with with your current service, I would check and see if you have to have any ports open aside from 80 for the updater to be able to communicate your current IP to your DNS.

i did a little checking and it seems that my apache server uses port 80 and my dynnds used 80 as well. i changed that to 8245. everything seems to be working fine on my side of things, but my friends say the gateway times out on their end =\.
i tried direct update out, too much to configure. the client i use has the pretty basic **** i need.

As diggingforgold uses I also use the directupdate client. The nice thing about using the directupdate client is that you can use it for a bunch of different services like no-ip.com, dynu.com, and many others. Since I use a few different free DNS services I only have to have 1 client installed=directupdate. I use it for no-ip, dynu, and zoneedit and it works like a charm for all of them. If I can figure out how to configure it you can too...:D

That is what turned me off direct update at first ha ha. it was kinda...not clear. with the dyndns updater, i just fed it my information and it was ready. pretty convenient. it does however take a second to start up.
I talked to my friend who also runs telus and i found the cause to the problem =\ Telus blocks incoming port 80. sooooo i changed this to try out.

Please tell me if yo ucna see this image

marlesig.jpg

Last time i was online with dns2go i was using shaw, which as far as i know, doesnt block ports at all. is there a way to make http requests use a different port without specifying it in the address? that really sucks to have to write out liek that =\

Last edited:
Its no longer an issue of dns redicecting thats a problem i think. either i have dissabled the wrong windows services that would allow me to run this setup, or telus is blocking inbound ports. now, as far as i know, 9880 isnt used by anything and telus shouldnt block it... but lets see.

welcome.jpg

not to offend you or anything but did you change the listening port on apache to 9880 and also did you forward that port in your router to the server? Just wanna check and make sure :D

Back