• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Upgrade and 2000 Full question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iqwertyi

I'm building a computer from scratch. I have an XP upgrade CD and a Windows 2000 Full CD.
Can I install the XP upgrade without having to actually install 2000 first?
For example, My Acrobat 6.0 CD is an upgrade. When I install it on a computer that doesn't have a previous acrobat software, all it does is ask me to insert the previous verison first to it can verify I have a previous version, then continues to install 6.0

I'm wondering if Windows is similar cause I really do not want to have to install 2000 first then install XP afterwards. If I just insert XP will it ask me for a previous OS, then continue without me having to install a previous version?

I havent done this personally but from what I've heard I think xp will just ask for the pervious windows cd or serial.

As far as I am aware, install XP straight from the upgrade disk and it should ask for some means of verifying you have a previous version of windows ie by asking the serial number of/asking for the disk from your previous Windows version.

Thanks. I hope that's the case.

Will try it out once my components come in.

Yes ! I just did this on a custmers pc. Start installing Xp...about 1/2 through, it will ask you to remove the xp disc, and insert a disc from an older O.S., then about 10 seconds later it will tell you to put the xp disc back in to finish the install.

good luck = let us know when it starts crashing like mad..lol

:D

just dont like the thought of intergrating 2 O/S's like that and over writing system files etc etc.

np at all I do it all the time. put in xp disk it will run then ask for location of older system. put older cr in and your all set. you can also do this by copying the contents of the i386 folder from the 2000 disk to another location and having it find them there, though that is unneccesary in this case.

Mr. guvernment though your point is valid in this case nothing from the 2k cd is ever copied to any directory of xp or indeed anywhere else on the computer.

Back