• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so, what did i do to mess up my computer this time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bimmerjim®

Registered
So,.... issues with Windows... maybe user error?

hi, just incase this helps, ill tell you about the PC before the problem.
the computer is about a month old... lga 775 pent 4 2.8, not overclocked right now. 800fsb, abit aa8 mobo. ddr2 512 3200 ram. nvidia 5750 pci x-16 video card. 80 gb wd hd.

last night i was building a wire harness in my office, listening to music on i tunes. i looked up to the computer wscreen because i saw something pop up. i hadent touched anything on the compuer in probibly 10 min. i tunes was the only program running.

"windoes explorer has encountered an error and must be **** down. blah blah blah"

send error, dont send
*clicked dont send*

then, all of the desktop icons disapear. the toolbar disapears. so im sitting there, music never missing a beat, and all my moniter displays is the background picture.

right click, nothing. alt+crtl+del and program manager pops up. only i-tunes is running. i went to new task and tryed starting explorer again. and i get the same error message.

restart the computer. as soon as the welcome screen pops up theres about a 20 second delay before the background comes in. (this is excessivly long for my computer. the welcome screen normaly just flickers a split second then goes to the desktop) anyhow. same error message. no desktop icons. no taskbar. just blank desktop.

all the programs work if i open them manualy. except for explorer. i tryed downloading windows updates and it said i had all the current updates. (i have a legit windows xp. its the copy that came with my dell 2 years ago.)

uh... tryed running avg antivirus. no viruses. ran adaware. gor a few programs.. restart. same thing.

ran checkdisk, same thing. till blank desktop. no taskbar. :bang head

what the hell did i do? :confused:

Last edited:
its windows xp home.

im at work now. its a bit of a PITA to screenshot, save pic, and uplad to my server when i dont have an explorer to navigate programs, but ill see what i can do. i dont get out of work till late tonight though.. :(

heres the error
edit: crap,. it resizes it...

uh, link: heres the error

http://www.bimmerjim.com/images/Hosted2.jpg

Hosted2.jpg

UH, no responce... mk.

well, anyways,. last night i got pissed and just reinstalled windows. now my interent dosent work (posting this from work) i would run the ISP cd, but my computer now has another problem.

when windows starts, i can open my computer and it shows the HD and the cd drive (my pci storage controller card driver isnt installed yet) so it dosent see the other HD.. anyways.. when i insert a cd, the computer goes retarded. litteraly. its slows down to about 1/64th is normal operating speed. the cd will not auto run. after about 10 min of this intermitenet halting and slow moving, then it will come back to life and it will no longer show the cdrom drive at all on "my computer"

wtf?

i formated my hd, so this is a FRESH install.

so, i havent been able to register windows, or install any drivers yet.
i tryed jumering the cd rom in every different jumper arrangement avalable thinking there was a copnflict or something. my mpbo only has one ... crap cant rember the name for it right now... alot for hardrives, so iv got my HD as master, and cdrom as slave. both in jumpers and in cable configuration.

Last edited:
Back