• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very tricky question.. pls check!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

ok... boys and girls here is the problem:

tryed to install different versions of xp on a HP xp1700+
when i installed home edition.. i got some code 7 error.. on different cd`s
when i tryed proffessional...i blue screens me and hits me with another funky error

anyways i never get past the first restart...
then i sayd.. let's trick the *******.. and threw a ghost image with an allready installed xp.. it freezes at boot...

i rulled out the HDD.. (done extensive testing)
rulled out the RAM (run MemTest)

now.. question remains:
i really dont know. how a CPU can halfway work and throw some errors now and then.. motherboar?! well i checked for blown transistors... but nothing..
so:

CPU, motherboard?

i really hope it didnt happend to you.. but maybe you know similar cases
tx

most of the time when you get erros installing XP it is because of a driver problem. Take every thing out except the cd, hard drive one stick of ram and your flopy. Turn off any onboard sound, lan and what not and retry. If you keep getting a blue scren write the code down and search MS.

hmm .. i`ll do that too

i got error code 7 wich i searched of course.. and it sayd to press F7 during the installation wich i did..

It either resetted the pc.. or went to another lovely blue screen

Have you tried a reformat first, and run the hardware compatibility prog from the install CD? Does sound like a hardware problem.

I would try testing the hard drive with the relevant diagnostic program. Also might want to try a boot from CD Linux distro and see if its just Windows playing up?

i did have a similar problem once, at school...on an athlong that refused to accept XP.

the tech guy decided the processor was shot, but i got to take it home and its not. (i got the motherboard too)

try cutting the system some slack, loosen up timings, possibly underclock it...make sure the cooling is perfect (overheating cpus do all sorts of fun things during installs,)

this is a REALLY dumb question....but is your motherboard grounded?

A screw hole with metal around it should have a screw in it, screwing it to the case. Preferably two... ungrounded motherboards = havoc on your mind

do you happen to have a spare rig you can throw the ram, hdd in and test it? some of us dont, it makes life harder. (i actually dont have a spare DDR rig...makes me sad)

What else has this sytem run sucessfully?

when i used to get this problem it was a ram problem. Actually it was a few bad ram slots on the motherboard.

BSOD in XP during install almost always means a hardware problem or driver issue. If you have tested all other things my advice is the check the video card. If this is onboard video that would be the place to look. I had a very similar issue with an HP Pavilion and what I ended up having to do was install the OS as an upgrade. I would end up having to install Win98/Me then install XP on top of a CLEAN 98/Me install. Making sure I had the drivers properly installed on the 98/Me setup before doing the upgrade. This worked great as it got XP installed. But having to load up 2 OS' like that was rather time consuming. Good luck

Z

Back