• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows updates are optional right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZNBoiOnFIYA

i know how microsoft says that by updating i can keep my computer virus and hacker safe, but cant i just not update and have a good firewall and antivirus?

You could, but the updates aren't just for viruses/hackers/adware. There's bugfixes and lots of other (good?) stuff in the updates. Unless you're on dial-up, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't update.

X1g

Well its rare but certian updates have caused computer errors. Like I said this is very rare so nothing to really be worried about until it happens but if that is why then yes. Just turn off updates. I would reccomend doing the updates though because even with a good firewall it helps to have less holes in the os since firewalls mainly just moniter ports and some updates fix things other then just ports.

There are some worms that some anti virus software does not catch, because the problem is resolved by patching windows instead. Usually if you're behind a good firewall, you won't get these though.

If you use IE you'd better get windows updates, there's a lot of malicious code out there on websites that can take advantage of holes in IE, the updates help patch some of those.

i understand that patching the os is important, but most updates aren't necessay and all they do is fill up the registry and make your computer run even slower. besides, if i get a virus or anything that crashes my computer, i can just reinstall. but to point it out, microsoft writes the most imperfect os in order to make you use patches just so they can scan your computer with windows update. thats one of the main reasons i dont like updating. btw, i use firefox and will never go back to ie.

I never update windows and until all the problems with SP2 im not gonna even touch that one!

Ive been behind a firewall for about 7 years now and the only time ive ever gotten a virus is when I was dumb enough to put it on myself and wouldnt you know it, it was a freakin MS outlook one. I was messin around where I shouldnt have been and saw a weird file. Opened it up and it made 20,000 copies of itself in 5 minutes. Since then I dont touch outlook at all. Netscape has been my browser of choise for the past 8 years :)

JT

Jtanczos said:
I never update windows and until all the problems with SP2 im not gonna even touch that one!
JT
What problems might those be?
At the shop where I work we have installed SP2 several hundred times with no issues whatsoever.
I have read reports of some software having problems after the upgrade, but we have yet to run into anything serious.

Software just doesn't stop working, you can usually fix or repair conflicts/errors.

Yes they are optional, but don't you want to have the latest version of DirectX when it comes out?

I never have updates set to automatic, but I do check the website at least once a week to look for any update I might want. (drivers, DirectX, stuff like that)

DWolf:cool:

Back