• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot run exe files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crisis757

Registered
i started my pc and on the logon screen there appears a kind of popup with a few unreadable signes in it. u only can click OK. Ok, i've done this, i logged on with my administrator account and on my desktop all the icons turned into an icon which means windows doesn't know the filetype. it are just .lnk files (just normal links.)

Ok, i see that i can't run exe-files too. when i push Enter, it seems to be cutting the files who are selected... I want to do a System Recovery, but i can't get into the window "System Recovery". i tried to enter Dos by entering cmd in the run dialog box...

Plz help me..

I hope u can help me...

Ad-watch notived an unknown registry stuff, but to me, they were just normal files...

help me.... thanks

If i am able to get into system recovery, i would be rescued...

Try booting into safe mode.

Then go to Tools, Folder, Options in a folder, then click the File Types. Scroll down to where EXE should be and if theres something there, you've been infected with a virus.

It really sounds like your system is hosed. Normally you can re associate exe with the run32.dll but you seem to be describing soft links not working, as well as files being cut or deleted.

You need to do a repair installation. Boot off your XP disc and select "Install Windows XP Now" then it will ask you to install either a fresh copy or repair your existing copy of XP. When you perform a repair your installed programs will still work, nothing is deleted.

electromagnetic said:
It really sounds like your system is hosed. Normally you can re associate exe with the run32.dll but you seem to be describing soft links not working, as well as files being cut or deleted.

You need to do a repair installation. Boot off your XP disc and select "Install Windows XP Now" then it will ask you to install either a fresh copy or repair your existing copy of XP. When you perform a repair your installed programs will still work, nothing is deleted.

You need to redo all windows updates after a repair install!

Back