• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

found this virus in pestscan.com.. but no scan pick it up!??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

ok, when i reformated i went onto pestscan.com and did a scan, and it came up with 3 pests, one of them is a KEY LOGGER!!!!

http://pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/S/System_Spy.asp

thats the link above, i've used pestpatrol 5, pestpatrol 4, and god knows all the other adware scaning software, but i couldnt find it no matter what i do, but it ONLY shows up on the website scan at pestpatrol.com...

any1 heard of that key logger? if so how do i get rid of it!!

thanks!!

Have you tried the manuel removal? If not try that also use bazooka its good at this stuff.is pestpatrol 5 newest? Was is up to date? Also rerun the noline one see what it says. Last thing who uses computer, and was it a fresh install or just a windows unistall/reinstall.

I'd say that you shouldn't run every adware software out there, you might cause more problems than good. Stick to tried and proven ones - use adaware, spybot, and hijackthis. Thats typically what I use, and depending on what they find, sometimes I use other specialized tools designed for removal of certain infections. Many "adware" scanners are more bad than good, depending on where you download them from.

To remove this though, now that you know what infection you have, all you have to do is follow the instructions in that link - if anything is missing, skip it and move to the next component. It's possible that the infection is removed but there are a few pieces still hanging around.

You should also be attempting all of this from safe mode, which you can boot into from startup by pressing F8 when your machine posts. Remember also that just because you download the latest version of the program, doesn't mean it includes the latest version of protection - after installing you should use the programs update tool to make sure you have the latest protection.

There is a guide in my sig which will explain good practices when removing spyware.

IMOG, you really should add SpySweeper to your list, it really is a great scanner, even though it's not freeware like Adware/Spybot.

I have used spysweeper Mr.C, I think it might even be in my guide on OC, but I just don't typically use it when solving problems... I'd say 95% of the time I can fix the problem with S&D or adaware, and by the time after I've run those if it still isn't gone I don't waste any more time scanning, and just get straight to manual removal.

I try to get rid of the problem without installing a million applications... But I do not see anything wrong with spysweeper, I've used it on a few occasions.

Bazooka to. It really is one of the best for getting rid of things others cant find. Its also free. I dont know if they still are but pestpatrol used to be one of the best at finding things that others couldnt so it might not be lieing.

ive used everything, spy sweeper to spybot, but nothing, none of the other programs fins anything on my computer, hell, ive even tried pest patrol and still nothing!!

it only shows up on the pestscan.com online scanner....

ghettocomp said:
I agree with IMOG. personally I have run into a couple of so-called 'spy sweeper' programs and found myself infected with more spyware than the program removed.

I didn't say to try "so called spysweeper programs", I said to try "SpySweeper". ;)

There are a hundred different programs out there now, that will in fact as you've found out - do more harm than good. All I'm saying is stick to the ones listed in the two stickies in the Internet section, and you won't have a problem.

IMOG, I rarely have to resort to manual removal, which is good, as that would be too time-consuming with the volume of systems I repair on a weekly basis.

Mr. Chambers said:
IMOG, I rarely have to resort to manual removal, which is good, as that would be too time-consuming with the volume of systems I repair on a weekly basis.

Ya, I usually do my work in front of users in their cubicles, so if I'm sitting there installing a million things and coming up empty time after time, I start looking like a dolt. When I resort to manual removal, its as much anything as it is deliberately showing the user I know what I'm doing and there problem is on its way to getting solved. Around the 3rd scan I run, if its not solved yet they tend to start getting anxious. :rolleyes: They see me turn up empty with a few applications and think I'm sitting there wasting their time - manual removal is easier for them to tangibly see I'm getting somewhere and they will be more patient. ;)

Arnoldma: Posts that tell us you have run everything and found nothing are pretty much useless to me and everyone else. There are about 40+ downloads at www.majorgeeks.com just for spyware and I doubt you ran all of them (some/many would have been a waste of your time anyways)... If you don't tell us what you ran and what version you ran, its not much good. It makes a very big difference what exactly you run, where you download it from, and the date on the definitions you are using.

Hope this helps, but Pest Patrol's latest online version is horrible. Those 3 you found show up EVERY time. I don't know what it looks for, but the registry key it points to is IE's. Might be a joke, but you don't have those things it is telling you you have. That really sucks, cuz I liked pest patrol a lot too. They really need to fix that.

Back