• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a file server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Para

Registered
Can i just use windows xp or do i have to use a server edition?

Its probably a very silly question! But its the first time ive attempted something
like this :)

If you're just wanting to store files in one place and access them from anywhere on your network, you can use any OS and share the drive. XP home will do just fine (or use Linux & Samba and save a lot of $$$ :) ).

X1g

cool ok thanks! will i be able to just stream the files? eg like video or audio?

Thanks alot for the reply :beer:

Para said:
cool ok thanks! will i be able to just stream the files? eg like video or audio?

Thanks alot for the reply :beer:

Yes, it will act like just another drive on your computer. Just map a drive letter to the share path, it will even have a little hard drive icon.

electromagnetic said:
Yes, it will act like just another drive on your computer. Just map a drive letter to the share path, it will even have a little hard drive icon.

Cool :) So when i access the HDD from another system it will just stream the file instead of copy it over right? eg. i open a avi or an mp3 etc.

Thanks again :beer: :beer: :beer:

It's just like another computer inside yours.

We have a few computers in our house.
Whenever we download anything it gets filed in one computer and becomes a huge directory.

Back