• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP and printer problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ricksimm

Asus MB with VIA KM400 chipset. XP Home with SP2. I am trying to attach a Deskjet 895Cxi on the LPT port. Printer worked fine on old Presario. When I start the PC the green light on the printer starts flashing and then the yellow error light comes on. After pressing the yellow light button, the printer feeds a blank sheet of paper and the yellow light goes off. From that point on the printer can be used without any problem. I have the BIOS printer mode set to simply bi-directional. Device manager shows the LPT as "Printer port (LPT1)". I have tried setting the BIOS mode to ECP and the results are the same except that the printer status shows as OFFLINE. There is nothing in the printer queue when this happens. I am assuming that XP (or the driver) is sending something to the printer at startup since the green light starts flashing and then an error condition is encountered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :bang head

I would check to make sure you ahve the latest drivers from HP, which can be found here, installed. When you confirm that I would go into Start>Control>Printers and delete the printer. Then I would have Win redetect the printer. Then make sure the proper HP drivers are loaded again. Then reboot you system and see what happens. If that doesn't help I would start going through the manuals that you can find from this page.

DWolf:cool:

Back