• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Add blocking proggie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Nade, Ive been not just as much, finals time at school. I was using Nortons Firewall 2003 and it was doing a pretty good job, but then I got greedy and went to 2004. Well, like I didnt know this before, it hosed my network. So I uninstalled that crap all together. Im using firefox and AVG so Im not getting any pop-ups and Im happy with that, but Im still getting adds that show up in sites. Not a big problem, but when you get used to not seeing those stupid adds in web sites its hard not have something there. Anyways, thanks Nade, let know whats been going on, when did you go 64bit?

Ed, man how could you forget!
You helped me out with my first build this September (Especially with applying AS5 and attaching my DVDRW to the case) :D. My next project would be a WC setup.

Norton ranks right up there with Zone Alarm for network busters. I had the 2004 and now I'm back to the good old corporate edition 9.0 (free, provided by the school). Adaware works pretty well with pop-ups. But I'd recommend running the free version of sygate as your firewall. I'll give you a whole bunch of addresses you need to block. You could also get the ip of the annoying ad-servers and add that to your blocked list. Quite effective. You can find sygate here:-
http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm

I'm stuck with exams as well. Been busting my head all week.

Take it easy bro.:)

Oh my friend I didnt forget, but I thought we were both 32 bit at the time. But Ive slept since then so forgive me ;). Just out of curiousity, and quite off the subject, do you have APIC diasabled in the BIOS? Curiosity. Im finishing up a reinstall on Windows, by I will give sygate a try. Good luck with finals and Ill hollar at you later.

You could always try the adblock extension if there is a version compatible with the FF version you are running... That is quite useful IMO. :)

I.M.O.G. said:
You could always try the adblock extension if there is a version compatible with the FF version you are running... That is quite useful IMO. :)

Adblock ext for Firefox(Mozilla) or sygate, pardon the ignorance?

I.M.O.G,
Somebody was saying that there is a windows version of konquror. I googled for it but came up with nothing. Is it true? Thanks for the FF update!

Off Topic:-
Could you make an avatar for me. I bet Super Nade would be hard to fit on the small canvas. :D

I have not heard of that Nade, but I might be out of the loop - dunno.

/OT: What sort of avatar Nade? I can make one that matches your stars, but do you have any preference on style? Or one like mine?

Does this feel like a reunion to anyone? I can still remember when we de-n00by-ized you. :)

Ah, the good old days^^. Thanks IMOG, downloaded it and I guess you have to "teach" it what to block, but thats cool. BTW, since were on the subject of avatars, can you do anything with the one that I have? Ha, thats what you get for helping us out, more work. ;)

This thread is getting way off, but I have a couple of guys with knowledge. What do you guys think of Windows firewall, combined with my Linksys router, and AVG-AV(free)?

As for your security, I would say that all depends on what you are doing on that PC. :)

Depends how much of a target you are I guess... If you think you are any more of a target than your average user, or if you do anything you shouldn't talk about here, then you should probably get a different software firewall other than the windows default. I do not know anything about linksys routers or if they have HW firewalls built in. AVG treated me well for a free AV program IMO - it may look a little rough around the edges but most people seem happy with it. If I wanted the best protection I would probably go with NOD32, then if not that norton, but neither are free.

I have limited photoChop skills, but I'm not so good with actual pictures or human forms... I'm really best with some basic forms like what I have now, some special effects/filters, and various text effects.

Yea my Linksys has a built-in FW, and really Im a few notches up from a "average user" so I would like the protection, and it was silly of me to ask about Windows firewall, but I am getting sick and tired of all these progs that install and end up hosing my system(network) so I am trying to stay as simple as possible. I am in the process of building a Linux server and Im going to run my firewall off of that. As far as the avatar goes, if you dont mind, make one after my name instead off the pic. Thanks IMOG and Nade!

Just did this quick... Obviously ripped off of part of my own design... I might come up with something different tomorow maybe. :)

Attachments

• edwardaune.jpg
    edwardaune.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 65
I.M.O.G. said:
I have not heard of that Nade, but I might be out of the loop - dunno.

/OT: What sort of avatar Nade? I can make one that matches your stars, but do you have any preference on style? Or one like mine?

Does this feel like a reunion to anyone? I can still remember when we de-n00by-ized you. :)

Sure does feel like a happy reunion :). As you and Ed have (I surely hope !) De-N00bized me, let the avatar theme be De-N00bing. I know its a tough one but taking your Photochopping skills into account this may be an eazy one for you. I still laugh when I read my "Extremely Noobish Questions" thread. The funniest part was when I asked how to "mount" the DVDRW (onto the case) and IMOG asked me if I meant physically mount or Linux type mount :). Do I get the <Noob of the year> award? Speaking of which look at this:-
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3284617#post3284617

Thanks bro!

Getting back on Topic :) :
I don't know about Linksys routers but the default Windows Firewall is certainly inadequet if you are a popular target. I'm on 56K (behind the university FW) but I still need an additional FW (SYgate) to block annoying port-scans. I know they are not from my Univ because a whois shows multiple hops.

I'm using a beat up old Pentium Pro 133MHz in my lab running a Linux Firewall. Works pretty well.

Use This rule-set to block out spammers and other idiots:-
http://www.unixhub.com/block.html

Back