• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed SP2 - WMP won't start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Windows Media Player won't start, no matter what I do!

I can click on a song, and it does nothing.

I've uninstalled WMP, I've installed WMP9, then WMP10, and regardless, the program will not run.... It doesn't even tell me that it was successfully installed.

I've tried all that I can think of, anyone have any ideas?

Yes, and it's not running, I dont ever see it run.... I've restarted many times too.

It also looks like SP2 revivied past viruses that I've had. Some nasty spyware that was hard to get rid of too....*sigh*

I ran spybot and it said some file extensions were hijacked, so I told it to fix it...

That stopped all applications from being able to open, it was hard to fix it too... I was finally able to run system restore and fixed that, but windows media player still won't start. I can't figure out what it is, and it's bothering me.

Looks like no one is smart enough to help me *nudge nudge*

I looked at all the performance and error logs, and nothing is said when I try opening windows media player. It's not showing any errors at all, which I find weird. It doesn't even show up in task manager, not even for a second, yet it is completely installed, I've tried installing it multiple times.

The program simply put will not run. I can use other programs to open my media, so I know its not a driver problem or anything.

Anyone have any ideas? I really want to use WMP.

Honestly, the way to remove spyware is not to install SP2. I'd say you've screwed Windows to the point that you'll need to reinstall. Or download another player

luv2overclock said:
Honestly, the way to remove spyware is not to install SP2. I'd say you've screwed Windows to the point that you'll need to reinstall. Or download another player

I didn't install SP2 to remove spyware, I dont know where you got that from. I installed SP2 for the 48bit LBA drivers, without them I couldn't use my 250gb hard drive that I just got.

Windows is running fine except for windows media player.

There has to be an explanation for it not working, and I am going to find it.

In the meantime I've downloaded iTunes. lol

Foxie3a said:
I didn't install SP2 to remove spyware, I dont know where you got that from. I installed SP2 for the 48bit LBA drivers, without them I couldn't use my 250gb hard drive that I just got.

Windows is running fine except for windows media player.

There has to be an explanation for it not working, and I am going to find it.

In the meantime I've downloaded iTunes. lol

You stated that you've had viruses and spyware in the past and they "came back". That is no doubt part of your problem. Forgive me for stating the wildly obvious.

You were right about it being a virus, but I can not fix it.

The file infected is Mscsvc32.exe in the Win/sys32 folder. Norton finally deleted it, and now I can't open any *.exe files. I have to manually tell it how to open it, and some things won't open. system restore won't work.

I think that I need that file, but no one else seems to have it. I'm thinking I'm going to have to reinstall. :(

if you're sure it's gone, you might try reinstalling SP2. If you can, that is. I know I've had a problem with a win2k machine at work every now and then and I'll reinstall the latest service pack. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

I thought of that, but when I tried it popped up a help page that lists different console commands, then it doesn't precede.

This weekend I'm going to format and reinstall... Probably also play around the inside of my computer a bit.

Back