• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open source Firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Can somebody please point me to an Open source Windows based Firewall, preferably with an ipchains like interface and rule set :D.

I miss ipchains. So easy to work with.

Ive asked around and basically there was overwhelming response to just Google for one, sorry I wich I could give a specific.

Thanks anyway Ed and lol @ Xenocide :D.
I'll add that to my N00b accomplishments.

Maybe I need to re word my Q:-
All I'm looking for is a free firewall with an interface which allows me to enter url's instead of ip addresses. Suppose I want to block add.doubleclick.net I should be able to do so without the need to find the corresponding ip.

Yep. I'm going for Linux after my exams.

yea smoothwall for that kinda stuff

check out the forums for homebrew modifications, the unit gets very powerful once you start adding 3rd party mods

Folks,

I was looking for something I could use with Win XP.
It should have an ipchains like interface though!

Maybe one of the programming gurus can write one up :D

Oh! Yes I have more than a few old Pentium Pro's (Compaq) lying around. The problem is compaq used propritary stuff and I couldn't find an old HDD to replace the existing 2Gb HDD. I tried installing Red Hat but for lack of space it didn't. I need something lean and mean. What do you guys recommend?

(RedHat without X/KDE didn't install BTW)

With smoothwall you do not neeed a seprate OS installed as it includes a hardened subset of the GNU/Linux operating system.

Awesome, thanks man!
Anything else I need to know before installing? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

Back