• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to add file extension to a folder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heat

I'm just bored and am wondering if this was possible.

For example, in the command prompt, I can rename the extension of a file from file.doc to file.pdf, but can I rename a folder to something like folder.txt? Technically, I can do that, but windows will still view it as a folder rather than a .txt file. Is it impossible to accomplish?

i dont know whats the point of this, BUT, if u wer to take it into mac OSX ud see soemthing weird.

I had a photoshop .dmg, and i extracted it...it shows up on the mac as Photoshop CS ...ok...thats all...move it to PC, its a folder with TONS AND TONS of files.

You can, but obviously only get the results you described.

A file extension is for a file only. Adding one to a folder only renames the folder. Even if you could, it wouldn't be a folder any longer.

I'm assuming you want to do this in order to disguise a folder. You could rename it folder.txt and then right-click, choose properties, Customize tab, and then change the icon for it, but this may change the icon for all folders. I don't know, I've never tried it.

I was reading another board discussing attachments and gmail. Posters there were saying that typically gmail users could not send .zip or .exe files as an attachment, and the get-around was simply renaming the file extension via command prompt. Since I think of a zip as a file that's actually a folder holding many files, I just wondered if it was possible to change a folder to a single file solely by adding a file extension. Just the weird question of the week. :)

Wanna see somthing cool. Name a folder
MyFolder.{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

It turns it into a link to My Computer. If there are any files inside of it they are totaly unassessable untill you rename it in dos (ie. remove .{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D).

Back