• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electromagnetic

Just fixed up my start menu and started to realize how out-of-date a lot of my software is. Not that I'm having problems with anything, just that I wonder if there's anything cool I'm missing out on. Cygwin, CPUZ, fireburner, tuneXP, regcleaner, VNC, etc, etc, etc. Does anyone worry about updating all the time, scouring the web? I'm obsessive compulsive, but not even I seem to really care unless something is broken.

I have most of my programs set to auto update if they have that feature. The ones that don't I usually just hop on thier site and check. Would be kinda cool if someone wrote a program that would check all your software for updates.

Use to be one available called "Oil Change" For 29.95USD a year you could run the program, it would check the versions of the software on your rig and compare it to the versions for the mainstream progs listed in their database. Any that had an update available it would download them for you and if possible update the prog.

Haven't seen it in a couple of years though. Figure that most progs have internal update componants now and the new MS OSs and most A/V software would go haywire if a single program started trying to run every other program to check for updates.

IMO it would be more hassle than it's worth commercially to try and write one now.

DWolf:cool:

PS: I'm forever surfing the net, poking around, looking for neat new stuff, so except for a few core programs that I consider essential, pretty much everything on my rigs is uninstalled and replaced with a different program that does the same thing long before the original program gets to the point of needing an update.

That's Windows side

Gentoo side is so much better
#emerge sync
#emerge -uDv world
and all my updates come to me without searching. :clap:

Last edited:
Back