• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Launch.exe has generated errors and will be shutdown..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbox33

I just installed Win2kPro from scratch on an old hard drive. It's only 3.2 gig. Windows installed with no problems. I put in a drivers cd for a wireless networking card I wanted to install and I get this message:

"Launch.exe has generated errors and will be shutdown by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

I tried running it manually and get the same error message. I thought maybe it was the cd-rom so I uninstalled it and put a different one in. Got the same message. I reinstalled windows from scratch again and it still does it and gives me the same message. I tried putting in another cd with data on it and I could open folders but it wouldn't run anything on the disk.

It will read a music cd as far as opening the player and playing the song but I don't have any speakers on the system so I can't verify if there is sound.

Not really sure what to do with it at this point. Could it be the size of my hard drive? The windows install took up half of it's capacity. It was only going to be temporary until I redo my other system and use the 40 gig from it and put it in there. I just didn't want to be without a rig until I was finished. I'm redoing the whole watercooling setup and putting in new drives for a raid array as well so it may take a few days to complete.

Other componenets in the system are:
1133Mhz T-bird
Shuttle AK35GTR mobo
768MB PC2100 ram
GeForce3 Ti500 vid card

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

This occurs only with the NIC driver CD, or no?

Can you verify where this launch file resides? On the CD or on the HDD, and what is its location?

No it's not just that one. I put in another CD and it didn't want to read that either although I never got the error message with it. I should have tried some others but I didn't have the time before I had to come to work.

The launch file is on the cd for the driver install of the network card. It's the cd drive so I'm guessing it is assigned as drive D: because I only have a floppy, the hard drive and the cd-rom drive in the system.

The second disk I just put in because I wanted to see if it would work. It was a disk from PCGamer or some other such magazine. It should have come up with a title screen and menu with the disks contents all on it but it didn't do anything. Trying to launch it manually failed too but without the error message. I'll have to mess with it a little more when I get home.

I haven't done any windows updates yet. Was going to after I got the NIC working.

The Windows disk I have is a copied version and it's SUPPOSED to have SP3. Would it automatically install that or will I have to do it manually? I haven't checked the contents of the disk yet and I'm at work so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

jbox33 said:
I haven't done any windows updates yet. Was going to after I got the NIC working.

The Windows disk I have is a copied version and it's SUPPOSED to have SP3. Would it automatically install that or will I have to do it manually? I haven't checked the contents of the disk yet and I'm at work so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

You've just killed your chances at more help. Go buy a legal version of Windows, then ask questions.

Ah the high and mighty hath spoken.

I did have a legal copy but it got gouged because I'm a bit of a slob and don't watch what I'm doing.

Anyway I copied my friends because I don't like XP and didn't want to pay out the nose for another copy of 2k Pro. But whatever man. I'll figure it out myself.

He's right...

The name of the game around here is play it straight - if it is against the forum rules, it does not get mentioned or alluded to on the forums. Many of the rules are there for serious liability reasons, and the security of the forums in the future.

So it's not that anyone here is high or mighty and doesn't want to help you, its that we can't openly condone anything like that, or assist people in those situations and thereby possibly endanger the forums in the future.

Back