• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who all thinks Windows XP SP2 sucks ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
I have been having an Ongoing problem with my 6800GT and some video games and the problem is a long story but i naword it down to the Nvidia drivers and Powerstrip. I got so mad that i couldnt figure it out so i blammedi t on Nvidia's Corny drivers.

Then Sentential said someone told him (because he was having similer rebooting issues in games) to uninstall SP2 and go back to SP1, well i tried it andn ow i have no problems AT ALL. i would have never thought SP2 could be so crappy. So who else doesnt use or like SP2 ?

Last edited:
Installed SP2 on all the computers in the house (minus a 98se rig). Aside from the annoying security center service (disabled) and the new auto-updates look, I really haven't noticed a thing in normal day-to-day use.

Yea me neither cept like 2 ofm yg ames were rebooting when i left them when using all the NV drivers cept 1 i almost gave up and sold my GT but after i uninstalled SP2 and went to SP1 all my probs were gone.

wierd i heard people having problems with SP2 i just never thought it could happen to me nore cause a problem like i had.

Havent had SP2 on any gaming machines yet, but it has given me quite a few problems in regards to the new "features" SP2 had. like the DEP, NAV issue, various configuration changes, the run confirmation dialogues and various other things. Especially because the general public isnt aware of these issues, so they just think "oh hey another update from microsoft *download*" And then suddenly something goes up in flames and I have to go fix it >.>

I personally havent used SP2 very much but I havent had any major problems in that sense, Ill be going XP SP2 on my machine Im building so I guess I'll see hwo that goes.

I think the problem with SP2 is that it is for Windows. Seriously.

Windows users expect everything to just be compatible on every machine configuration with every software package out there - all with default settings and no intervention required.

Anytime you increase security, you are bound to increase complications, when not only are you more secure, but applications and functions that used to work no longer behave the same way - the looser the configuration, the more compatible; things get tighter, more problems are likely.

For me, SP2 has been completely compatible with everything I run at home and at work. I can also say that the machines were as clean as the day they were imaged when SP2 was installed however, and I didn't do an installation over a bunch of existing software. That could make a very big difference.

I.M.O.G. said:
I think the problem with SP2 is that it is for Windows. Seriously.

Windows users expect everything to just be compatible on every machine configuration with every software package out there - all with default settings and no intervention required.

Anytime you increase security, you are bound to increase complications, when not only are you more secure, but applications and functions that used to work no longer behave the same way - the looser the configuration, the more compatible; things get tighter, more problems are likely.

For me, SP2 has been completely compatible with everything I run at home and at work. I can also say that the machines were as clean as the day they were imaged when SP2 was installed however, and I didn't do an installation over a bunch of existing software. That could make a very big difference.
So well worded...Kudos to you!

I have yet to have any issue that was not a fairly simple adjustment. Now that I have it slipstreamed, any new installs are coming our perfectly.

i'm loving SP2, usefull firewall - it eliminates the the professional from windows xp professional at bootup, but thats ok- its also nice at juggling my wireless connections.

I've never had a problem with SP2. Running it at home + on all the systems at work.

sp2 was great. have never had a problem with it, as long as i install it with my slipstreamed xp sp2 disc. If i try to install it seperately, i hvae found many various problems...

Back