• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The BEST way to format a HD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

What is the absolute best way to format a HD? The procedures before, during and after? I want my computer running to it's fullest potential.
Computer specs:
epox 8rda+
1700+
1 gig of buffalo 3200
9600xt (what drivers are the best)
raptor 36 gig
80 gig sata
Thanks.

do you intend to install an OS? If so, you can format during the install. Either way, a format is a format, doesn't really matter, and there is no "best" way unless you have a drive with bad sectors, in which case a full format would be ideal way to have the sectors marked as bad so data doesn't get written to them (RMA would be an idea though).

Drivers? Any way I like to run bootandnuke because it deletes all the HDD including boot sectors places xp install leaves out. Then just you install CD to formate. Or you can use fdisk but its outdated now and days.

I usually use the formatting utility from the HDD's manufacturer if I want to be sure the drive is formatted correctly.

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
i just partition it and then use dos to install the os. if the os is anything before xp, then you probably need a bootdisk.

Just a little FYI. Windows CD's have been bootable since Windows 98SE.

Back