• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Serial Number

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waering

Is it possible to copy the contents of one harddrive to another. That contains the OS. Then to change the serial number of the os on the second harddrive?

I'm sure it's possible. But why would you want to?

Unless the rigs are identical, it could get very ugly the first time you try and start a windows registry set for one hardware configuration inside a totally new hardware configuration.

And if you're just doing it as a back up, why would you need to change the serial #?

BTW I believe it would be easier and have less impact on older Win OSs. Which OS are you dealing with?

DWolf:cool:

What you need to do is use sysprep before you image the drive to the other machine. Doing that will allow you to enter a new cd-key and the machine SID will be changed. As DreamingWolf said, unless the hardware is nearly identical, you are going to run into problems.

Thanks everyone there are some problems that have been mentioned that I didn't consider at the begininning of this project. Thank the silicon God for forums and insightful people.

Back