• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Windows 2003 Server Forum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Any ideas on where to get some good information in a forum on windows 2003 server?

I have lots of questions & no idea where to post em.

Try posting in the MS OSes section of this forum - I know a lot of members here are Network/Server Admins and may be able to help.

I dont have anything super specific except, that I am going to do an install of Server 2003 at a company with 15 PC's.

My question is, where in Server 2003 (probably standard or SB) do I add users & domains? This is only going to be a file server (the company is not looking for anything else for the server - Just an update to their current XP Pro server (that is using workgroups - I am switching them to domains).

How would I go about doing this?

There used to be a 2003 Server there but the person who did the install used a "bootleg" version, the server locked up & they installed XP Pro (what they have now).

So, I have a list of username & passwords that they currently still use on their XP machines to log into the network (except the server isnt there anymore, so every login translates into a network error message from the XP machine saying it cant log into the network).

I would like to turn it into that they use there current login & make the server 2003 accept there passwords so they can get to the server shared directory.

I would also like to use whatever old domain they were using for their network (keep it simple).

How do I do that? I have server 2003 installed at home for practice & VMWare also so I can do some test client logins to the server.

How do I setup new users on the Server? How do I set the domain? & On an XP Machine, how do I set it up so it would not boot all the way into windows & stop at the network login prompt (then log into the network)?

Thanks,
Rich

Well you have alot of question and I'm only learning so these other guy swould be of more assistance but I'll give it a shot. First set up active directory through 2k3 server, its tough to misss the option for it. Set the domain name then create the user accounts. You can do this through the MMC concol where you will do doubt be spending alot of time. You then must add each computer to the domain. To do this create an account for each computer based on the DNS name. then join each computer to the domain. For example at my school the domain name is SCSU. First we create an account for the computer name, then join it to the domain. you do that at each workstation or through SMS by going to my computer properties computer name, change the current workgroup to the domain. As long as you have configured active Directory with the appropriate logons and accounts you should be all set.
Once active directory is in place and the user accounts are set all users must enter there user name and password to logon. Its also a best practice to require the use of CTL-alt-del to get to that point. To do that set up local security policy on each xp machine or create an OU unit with all the xp computers in it and a group policy object. You can set the local policy through the local security policy MMC snap in or configure the OU through the domain wide policy snap in on the server system.Well that does it for me for now hope I helped some. I'm sure these others will be able to clarify what I have stated more and I'll try to help wherever I can. :)

Back