• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to put fresh win98 on a winME HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seaborn

I have a harddrive that I dont use anymore that has WinME on it. I am putting my win98 cd in and booting to it to try to format over the winME part(and the whole drive). Problem is: it won't let me. that is no partitian manager screen and toward the end of the install it states,"there is already a copy of windows on this harddrive and you need to purchase windows 98 upgrade". WTF. And for those who ask why....I have software that I need to use to program something that only works with Win98. Thanks if you know. I am a preety good bit about computers but that knowledge came after the Win98 era. Thank you. Seaborn

try downloading a disk utility for the from the manufactures webpage of the hard drive model and formating it , then instal your windows 98...

Or use a 98 boot disk and fdisk the drive.I beleive you will have to do this or similar as the ME partitions use a different fat.

Back