• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One specific RAM brand erroring in only one slot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

I have 2 x 256 MB of Crucial pc3200 ram that are error-free in memtest in all three of my NF7-S slots. I just bought 2 x 512 MB of Kingmax pc3200 to replace the Crucial. I wasn't looking for super fast or low latency ram, I could not find much bad talk of Kingmax's stuff on the net, and my brother has had good experience with Kingmax ram. Anyway, I ran memtest and I got thousands of errors during most runs of test #5. If I run either stick by itself in slot 3 I get the errors as well. Even if I loosten the timings to less than spec I get errors. However, if I run either stick of Kingmax in slot 1 or 2 or if I fill both slots 1 and 2 at the same time I get no errors. I must add that so far(a few days), other than not being able to run Prime95 for more than 5 minutes, I have not had any crashes or any other noticeable anomalies.

If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to chime in.

If there was not a $20 restocking fee I would just send the Kingmax back to Newegg and get some Corsair value ram and hope that works. I don't know, maybe I could tell Newegg of my situation and they could waive the fee.

One question I have is how much of a performance hit would I take by keeping the ram in slots 1 and 2 and losing dual channel? I have heard there is not a huge gain using dual channel on nforce 2 boards, but I would only accept a very small hit.

Thanks.

Back