• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Options for 2 Gig OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alex870

Hi guys,

I'm planning on building a new machine (nforce4) but need memory help: what stix are best for highest OC on 2 Gigs of ram?

Option 1: 4 x 512mb (e.g. 2 x TwinX1024-4400C25)

Option 2: 2 x 1024mb (e.g. 1 x TwinX2048-3200)

Option 3: ?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,

Alex

Well, off the top of my head I'd definitely suggest using 2 kits of 2x512, no matter what you're looking for. If you look around you'll notice two things:

1. 2x1024Mb kits are expensive as hell
2. 2x1024Mb kits have crap timings compared to 2x512Mb kits.

So you'll be spending less money and getting more performance by using 2 2x512Mb kits - provided that your motherboard has 4 DIMM slots.

I didn't think that Nforce4 used dual channel - but I could be ignorant.

I'm thinking 2 stix on each memory channel will degrade amount I can OC anyway - probably more than a single stick of slightly lower speed ram (?) - I dunno. Tru about the price, but i just got my bonus for the year and it's burnin' a hole! So I want the best toys for christmas! :)

Best single stick option I've found are Crucial Ballistix DDR PC4000 1Gb (3-4-4-8)
Anyone know of better?

Well speaking from someone that has run 4x512MB sticks in my setup listed below it didn't degrade my OC at all. Besides that it was 2 different brands (XMS and HyperX). I don't have the HyperX in my system now but hopfully for X-Mas i get another gig for my other rig so I can run it in this system.

Mind you I have a modist OC and its nothing spectacular could be a reason why I can run it at this speed, but I did have to bump my Ram voltage from 2.7 to 2.8 when doing this and drop timings to (2-3-3-6) to make it run but it would go all the way up to 224Mhz for the ram.

Wish I could get more voltage to push it just a little more for my ram :(

Back