• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Detecting drivers and hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jasongr

Registered
Greetings,
I'm going to be wiping out my laptop in the next few days and starting fresh, but I want to know what hardware and drivers are on my computer right now.
Is there a way to get them all? Any software for doing this?
Any way to get the default hardware/drivers?

Many thanks and happy hollidays,
Jason
:santa2:

jasongr said:
Greetings,
I'm going to be wiping out my laptop in the next few days and starting fresh, but I want to know what hardware and drivers are on my computer right now.
Is there a way to get them all? Any software for doing this?
Any way to get the default hardware/drivers?

Many thanks and happy hollidays,
Jason
:santa2:

Try the Belarc Advisor, and Sisoft Sandra. Belarc will be the much lighter and less complicated option.

Then you'll be hunting down all the drivers.

I've found http://www.driverguide.com to be fairly helpful in locating drivers. Except for a few that were listed as external links to sites of companies that no longer exist...

Try User: temp Pass: 512 to browse around if you've never been ther before.

Everest Home Edition is pretty good for telling you info.

You could also just look in device manager to see what hardware windows is telling you that you have. Then it's just a matter of going to the manufacturer's site (usually) and getting the software.

Ouch...there is about 50 drivers. :eek:
Is there a way to save all the drivers on a floppy or anything? Going to all the sites and downloading them one by one will take forever.

Also, what would happen if I just wiped out the hd and re-installed windows and didnt install the drivers?

Thanks,
Jason

You don't need that many.

main ones to pay attention to are the network card drivers, video drivers, sound drivers, and motherboard chipset drivers.

Depending on what drivers windows already supports, you may not have network access, which will make getting onto the internet to download drivers impossible.

Welcome to the Forums.

You can post pictures here for us to look at if you're not sure of what drivers to get.

Better yet, is there some sort of site I can go to that will tell me the default drivers for a computer?
Its a IBM thinkpad a21m

Thanks for the welcome :)
-Jason

After too much cutting and pasting (dont be jealous of my skills), here are all the drivers:
(click)

Thanks,
Jason

for most of those devices, you don't need separate driver downloads.

According to IBM, you really only need to get the IDE drivers, which isn't even really required for XP anyways.

What OS do you plan to install? Forgot to ask that earlier, assumed XP.

Its a rather old laptop, so I'll be installing Windows 98 SE.
I was thinking about going with Mandrake, but I'll do that next.

If your laptop is an Intel based one then Win98 should have enough drivers built in to get you started. Then you can just download the rest of the drivers that you need off from the IBM website. You can get them now if you like too, it should be rather easy to navigate IBM's website, I used it just last year for an old Aptiva computer that I was repairing.

Back