• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why XP pro vs. home edition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DenniSTi

Registered
The professional editional costs more, but otherwise what benefits would their be on a strictly gaming pc?

XP home is for single processing systems hence desktop computers and gaming machines... XP Pro however is built for server systems (2 processors) and supports full SMP. XP Server 2003 supports up to 4 processors I believe.

thats the only differences

There are a few others differences as well: XP Pro is better suited for networks (active directory and such), has proper access controls and group policies for various parts. Can encrypt and otherwise control access to files, etc.

Ah, that's good to here. I wonder why most people get the pro version though..

i got mine for the remote desktop. very very good tool. great for my server

Rilian said:
XP home is for single processing systems hence desktop computers and gaming machines... XP Pro however is built for server systems (2 processors) and supports full SMP. XP Server 2003 supports up to 4 processors I believe.

thats the only differences
XP Pro is NOT for servers. It is intended for workstations. Hence the reasons ms mad the Server 2003 series.

I used to use XP Pro, mainly because I have a dual CPU system and needed SMP support.

Also XP Pro is better networking wise.

XP pro also has various administrative utilites built in that you will not have available to you in XP home.

For example, if you go to the command line, and type tasklist /svc you will get a list of what services are running under each process if you are running windows xp pro, but xp home does not have this function. There are other examples also where useful utilities like this will not be present.

Back