• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What chips do OCZ VX series use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I need some HighVoltage DC set for my AXP
So I thought maybe we can find the chips that OCZ uses for their VX series on some other cheap modules.

Thanks,
Suma.

Before you read through 5 pages of that thread and come out empty handed I'm going to tell you that they aren't ProMOS or Mosel. OCZ guys told us that directly. So really we don't have any idea what chips the VX uses.

Hmm I see.
Well, where's Sean I'll take it out of him :p

Btw, OCZ rebaged them right?

Suma.

Suma said:
Hey guys,
I need some HighVoltage DC set for my AXP
So I thought maybe we can find the chips that OCZ uses for their VX series on some other cheap modules.

Thanks,
Suma.

What do you think they are and why?

We should make a rule that you have to go out on a limb and if you make a guess, you have to give your logic. It will be much more fun that way, as well as educational. What you say?

I have a general hunch and am trying to follow up on it. If it pans out...I'll brag about it but if it doesn't...well you won't hear another word about it. :)

In order to follow the "justify" rule I will pass on my guess for the time being. I will say that my test subject has already been purchased.

RickyJ said:
Didn't they also say that the chips were made special for them, from an undisclosed manufacturer?

Yeah, and Pete Rose didn't ever place bets on baseball.

If it looks like Winbond and it feels like Winbond, then maybe if might just be Winbond???

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Optoelectronic-Component/a/9000000055550.htm

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=654396#post654396

What do you guys think about these? I think that its time to hit CC and BB again!

It seems like either the secret is out, or there are other chips out there that have some of the same tendencies as the VX. Now all you need is the capabilites to give them a bunch of voltage.

Attachments

• 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,455
Last edited:
They do look familiar to these don't they?

Attachments

• M.tec-Winbond_UTT.gif
    M.tec-Winbond_UTT.gif
    45 KB · Views: 315
  • Winbond bh-5.gif
    Winbond bh-5.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
I don't care if those are what VX is using or not. Those are some nice chips! :drool:

Those are quite cheap too. $78 for a 512 MB. Hmm, I might just be able to get a gig of nice RAM after all. :D

I lost my link to the picture of the VX chip. Anybody want to post a link or a picture of the chip for comparison?

And yes, that price is real reasonable. Basically a gig for right at $160. You can buy value ram for less but if you get lucky with these and can give them the juice, you can figure that you've won the RAM LOTTO.

ocz rep has said that they had the chips custom made for them
it's not hard to find good ram... personally i'd get the new week g.skill pc4800 LA

crimedog said:
ocz rep has said that they had the chips custom made for them
it's not hard to find good ram... personally i'd get the new week g.skill pc4800 LA

If you read that thread over at Xtreme, they are now talking about all of the binning and testing that they do and how that drives the price up and how TwinMOS doesn't support/warrant the higher voltage. And they are right, these "value" chips are a crapshoot of sorts because they probably don't all do what the VX branded will do, which is 240 or so at 2-2-2-x.

However, they also said in that original thread that I linked above that these were not Winbond and that the Winbond equipment had been destroyed, yet I've linked to a news release above stating something totally different. Winbond is in fact making chips again for Infineon and "others".

As for going with TCCD, that is a very good option. Some people, however, would prefer to run at 225-245 or so (Intel 3.2-3.4 maybe) at very tight timings and for them, 285 at 2.5-4-4-8 has very little appeal.

Its always good to have choices.

I'm sure why you quoted me because nothing you said addressed it :confused:

The reason I said the new LA g.skill is because it's been doing 300mhz 2.5-3-3-5. Also 275mhz 1.5-3-3-5 which is always cool. Sources from xtremesystems of course.

crimedog said:
I'm sure why you quoted me because nothing you said addressed it :confused:

The reason I said the new LA g.skill is because it's been doing 300mhz 2.5-3-3-5. Also 275mhz 1.5-3-3-5 which is always cool. Sources from xtremesystems of course.

I guess you intended to say your are NOT sure why I quoted you because "nothing you said addressed it"?

Well...let me attempt to clear up your confusion. For starters, how about the part of your post where you stated that OCZ claimed that the chips are "custom made for them" and I responded (addressed it directly) that they no longer appear to be making that claim in any of their current posts on the topic (in any of the forums that I've been following) but are instead posting about how they do all this binning and testing to make sure it performs up to their higher standards (which, for what its worth, I do believe to be a true statement) and how companies like TwinMOS will probably not test so extensively nor support such high voltages, etc.

Secondly, while the TCCD based Gskill enjoys a very good reputation and few would question that, it still does not meet the needs of someone wanting to run 250 or less at 2-2-2-x, or at least I've not seen many posts of it consistently doing that. The timings of 2.5-3-3-5 at 300 are way cool, but of no real value if all you can run is 250 or less. It is basically the same issue of bh-5 vs TCCD that gets discussed over and over and with the same resulting answer...it depends on your system and the other components that you are matching with the ram. As I previously stated, its good to have choices.

My quoting you above, nor this response, are intended to be argumentative, I was just pointing out that while good ram like the Gskill is available, it is not the very best option for all, no matter how "universal" TCCD is deemed to be.

I thought my responses/comments were exactly on point, or at least I surely was trying to be. I'm an immigrant after all, so maybe I should study up on my English a little bit more before I post again. After all, I've only been speaking this language for 43 of my 50 years. I will strive to be clearer in my future posts.

it's all good bro :thup: you're right on (i thought you were talking about twinmos speed binning). when the VX came out I saw one of them post that they had their chips custom made by someone (forget who) but I guess they're just speed binning like the rest of em now. vx or bh5 would be the logical choice for locked intels or low fsb boards, and good bh5 or tccd for the unlocked ones.
you're right about the typo by the way :p

Back