• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win-blows survival guide, how to install windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrQ

I NEED TO CONTACT LUTAWICASA OR SILVERSINKSAM
I know most people know how to install windows easily enough on these forums but recently I have been getting a lot of questions outside these forums on how to do it and what to do and not to do and such. This article is just how I install windows and how well it works for me. Please feel free to contribute. Also this guide is for Windows XP but can be easily followed (except for a few parts) for other versions as well. Feel free to PM me or post other suggestions and I will add and update regularly. For spelling and grammer mistakes PLEASE ONLY PM me as I do not want this thread cluttered with minor mistake like that.

This article is also for a generic install of Windows XP and not tweaked more towards gameing or video editing and such. Again please suggest things to help further this article. The order in which I have this article is the order in which I do everything and have found this to be the best for me.

Please excuse spelling and grammar as while the most part of me writing this I have a bad headache. Feel free to correct me and I will update as needed.

First things first. Before installing windows make sure your system meets the requirements obviously. For windows XP I WOULD NOT suggest anything below a 400 mhz CPU with 512 megs of system memory of any kind and a hardrive of at least 10 gigs.

A more prefarable system might be closer to 1 ghz with 512 megs of system memory and a 20 gig hardrive or better.

Keep in mind with a tweaked down system I have gotten Windows XP to run a 300 MHZ celeron with 256 megs of system memory and a 10 gig hardrive well but under limited conditions with no eye candy or spiffs.

Note: For easy use, use crtl-f in internet explorer to find a specific topics for easier searching and reading.
Index of topics (use with crtl-f function):
Starting setup
Selecting a hardrive
Formatting
Setup during install
Finishing setup
Driver updating
Hardrive configuration
Services configuration
Swap file and advanced visualization
Defrag
Windows updating
Installing programs

Please read through this entire article if you have questions about installing windows first. It is also recommended that you read it entirely if it is your time installing windows.

Now for step one:
Starting setup:
Your going to obviously start out by inserting the Windows XP disk and loading the setup interface. Once in the setup interface you only have a few options.

Selecting a hardrive:
First make sure windows is installed on your fastest drive. Ex- If you have a 30 gig drive and a 20 gig drive on you computer and the 30 gig does ATA66 but the 20 gig does ATA100 load Windows on the 20 gig drive. It doesnt matter weather it is a slave or master on the secondary or primary channel as it will have no performance effect. Just load it on the fastest drive.

Partitioning a Drive:
While selecting a hardrive you can opt to partition it as well. Recommended is a 40 gig or lower don't bother and use all the available space. 40-60 gig it's your option. The other partition would only be used for back up purposes and other applications. It's recommended to not keep your windows drive above 40 gigs just in case your installation gets hosed. That way you don't lose everything.

Formatting:
Also make sure you select to format the drive and format using NTFS. Do not do a quick format as it doesnt completly erase everything on the drive. It only erases the "index" on the hardrive that tells the computer where everything is located. Also do not use FAT32 unless you intend to load a 9x operating system on the same hardrive (not recommended.)

Note:If you intend to load a 9x operating system such as windows 98 or windows ME install that operating system first. If you install 9x after XP it will take over the boot sector and not allow you access to XP easily.

Setup during install:
Now you are going to wait a while for it to format and install the files. During install there isn't a whole lot of configuration to do. It pretty much only comes up with two menus. One for your computer name and liscense key and one for your network setting. The first menu will be your computer name and liscense key. Come up with any name for your computer. It's only real purpose for most people is just to make networking easir to identify the computer on the network. The liscense key is self explinatory.

The network options leave alone unless you know what your TCP/IP settings are for your network. If you do not have a home file/print sharing network just leave it alone also. If you do not know how to use this then also leave it alone and use windows network wizard to setup your network. Suprisngly it's easy to use and actually works. To get more advanced networking tips look elsewhere as this is another topic in itself. Feel free to PM and ask though as we can always give you more information about it.

Step two:
Finishing setup:
This step is very small. After windows is done installing and configuring itself it will restart and load for the first time. The first time loading it will adjust basic visual setting and resolution. It will try and set it at a 800x600 resolution with 32 bit color and ask you to verify that it worked properly. After this it will go through activation and configuring users.

Activation is simple and straight forward. If you have at this point an internet connection use that option. If not then call it in and follow their instructions. It is annoying but very easy to do.

Setting up the users is no harder. Just type in the name of each person that will be using that computer. Its really that simple. Once the computer is done setup each user can log into their own account and adjust settings to their liking.

That's it for installing windows. The rest is configuration.

Step three: Windows coniguration

Hold on to your butts. This step is a LONG one.

Please Note: Have all updated drivers on disk at this point to limit having to use the internet while configuring.

First things first install the latest version of Directx (9.0c at this time). It's important to do this because some drivers require the latest version of Directx to work properly. It's also important to install this first because of the way DirectX works. DirectX acts as a system core component controlling network, sound, and video subsystems for most mulimedia applications. It's important to treat this like a subsytem for windows rather then a driver or an application. Install this first before anything else.

Driver updating:
It's time to update every driver on the system. It doesnt matter in which order you update them. Just do this before anything else at this point. Do't forget to update Video cards, sound cards, chipset drivers, USB controllers and generic drivers also. Make sure you update everything and look over your system to make sure you didnt forget anything.

Heres a quick check list to make sure you've updated everything:
Video card
Sound card
network card
modem
USB host controllers
Firewire controllers (if any)
chipset controllers
various other cards such as TV tuners and the like

After updating all of the drivers restart your computer if you havnt already.

Hardrive configuration:
After restarting go to "My Computer". Right click on your hardrive/partition you have windows loaded on and go to properties. Once in the properties uncheck the option for indexing. This will slow down searches on your computer for files but in general it will speed everything up as Windows will not have to index every file on your computer and look at that index when you want to use a file.

Services configuration:
After un-indexing everything go to your control panel and then administrative tools. The last Icon is called "services". Click on that and open your services. I recommend disabling Messenger all together. Everything else I recommend just set to manual. To set services to manual right clock on the service and go to properties. In that menu there is an option to set that service to Automatic, manual, or disabled. I'd recommend everything else I mention to Manual.

Set the following services to Manual:
Help and Support
Error reporting services
Automatic updates
event log

Leave everything alone unless you know what your doing in this section. For more information about services visit www.blackviper.com. You can seriously screw up your computer turning off the wrong thing in this area. All though it is easily fixed if you dont know what your turned off and what does what it can become a major headache.

The services I recommended setting to manual I recommended because most people do not need them and do not effect anything.

Turning off these services helps free up system memory and processor usage. Just these services alone make a difference.

Swap file and advanced visualization:
Next go to your control panel again and double click on the system Icon. Click on the tab that says advanced then settings under the performance section.

Again go to advance. Go to the option that says virtual memory. The select a hardrive that is not being used. If you only have one hardrive then use that hardive. Select custom size and under both areas to enter the size of the swap file enter a number that is two and a half times the amount of ram you have under both areas. Setting the same number will speed up the swap file by not allowing it to constantly adjust size.

Defrag:
After all of this restart your computer again and go into safe mode. Once in safe made go ahead and defrag the hardrive under the windows partition. This will put all windows files and drivers in a neat central location on your hardrive speeding it up.

Windows updating:
After defraging restart again and go to windows update. Download and install all the updates available. Keep in mind you will have to do this a few times as you are required to download and install some updates before you can do others.

After downloading and installing the updates again go into safe mode and defrag again.

Installing programs:
Almost done. Now install and configure all the programs you use most such as Nero and wordperfect. After doing this again restart, boot into safe mode, and defrag.

Now you should have a pretty good base install or windows. Finish up anything you would like to personalize such as visualization setting and such.

nice, perhaps a link to the sticky on windows tweaking towards the end so once people have installed they can mull through some things they may wish to try :)

Back