• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram probs...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp1k3

Right now i have 2x512mb ddr500 Mushkin ram, it is terrible first of all, the stock speeds are at 200fsb, so that means its really not ddr500, and second of all it hardly runs at 250fsb. 1:1 with cpu. I have p4p800 mobo and 2.4c at 250fsb. And i was thinking about rmaing it back to newegg. And getting some of that new ram that has the tccd chipsets on it. The only reason this ram is crappy is because i run my cpu fine at 250fsb, but when it comes to running my ram at that speed, it becomes a hole new story. Because i have to run it at 2.85v :bang head to be stable, well not get any errors on prime95. And when im playing Desert combat i see artifacts, like spikes flying off the grenades, and the guns. And its either my ram or my vcard. either way im returning the ram. And the reason i know its my ram is because
when i leave it at 200fsb it has no artifacts. And another thing happens that is really bad, and that is when im playing that game, the map dispeers and it turns all tan colored. So either thats the game bugging out, or its my ram, or my vcard. I have a fx 5200 128mb. Which i shortly replacing with a ti 4200 128mb. So no worries there.
this is the ram i have now http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-314&depa=1

This is what im thinking of getting.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-148&depa=1

are you sure that it is the ram that is the problem?

have you seen if giving an extra .1v to the chipset helps?

what timings are you setting at DDR500?

Well they are set to auto on the timings, so i dont think that should be any problem. And no i havent tryed giving the chipset more voltage. Im running the ram at 2.85v as mentioned above, im wondering if the ram is getting to hot or something, because the artifacts dont occur right away, they come in within 20-30 minutes of game play. And it seemed to help when i upped my vcard core up about 20mhz. but still came back

upping your vcard core shouldn't help at all. very strange.

Sometimes, the SPD isn't properly read by the board or isn't set properly by the manufacturer. It's always best to set it manually to ensure that they are being set correctly.

well... for a while i was running at 2.5-4-3-7. Then i decided to set back to spd auto, to see if i could get more stable, and i did notice some changes. Like sometimes the system would lock up for a few seconds, and then unfreeze a few secs later. But other than games i have no probs with the ram, besides not getting to great of stability in prime95, if i drop it down to 2.75v it goes about 5 hours then gets an error. And then at 2.85v it runs as long as i leave it. Which last night i ran it for about 7-8 hours, and no errors. But the artifacts **** me off. im not sure what the defaults are for this ram, as far as the cas timings go. if someone could help me out with that. Im thinkig its 3-4-4-8, but i could be wrong

*Edit
I found the default timings. 3-8-4-4-1T are default. And i was running, cas: 2.5, ras to cas:4, rase pre:3, and cycle time: 7. so i dont really know how those go in order. because thats how they are listed on my bios. And ive seen different ways. i think it would be 2.5-4-3-7

Last edited:
Well right now im running at cas: 3.0, RAS PRECHARGE: 4, RAS to CAS: 4
PRECHARGE delay: 8, DRAM burst:4. right now i dont know which is which in this situation, because 3-8-4-4-1T is stock. And im not sure which category refeers to what number on that. And im running at 2.75v but i have noticed some intermitant lockups. but the locks ups are quick, like half second-1,2 second lock up. So im thinking back to 2.85v?

Back