• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highest memory speed for P4 2.53

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

awsskater42

What is the fastest memroy I can get for my P4 2.53, non HT, 533 fsb? On the MSI site it says I can't get DDR400 for my processor if I get the Neo 2 PE mobo. Thanks in advance.

You should be able to use DDR400, it will just downclock to DDR333 speeds. DDR400 means it will go up to DDR400 speeds, but doesn't mean it can slow down.

Many times, those product pages aren't updated so they leave many things out such as memory modules support and what not.

So it would not be worth it to buy DDR 400 becuase I can only use it at the speed of DDR333? Or am I not understanding something?

DDR400 would be a better buy in the event you wish to upgrade just your processor to a Northwood or Prescott Socket478 that uses the 800FSB. Buying DDR333 now and using it with an 800FSB CPU, it will run slower than the FSB, and since Intel CPU's love bandwidth, it will hurt performance.

Back