• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting Windows ME in DOS mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DuckDodgers

How can you start Windows ME in DOS Mode. I KNow how to start in safe mode but that does not give me the option for DOS prompts. Any Help would be most appreciated. ( it is a friends computer I personally hate all pre Xp versions of Windows)

As far as I know, there is no DOS mode. I haven't used Windows ME for a while so I could be wrong.

If the F8 menu doesnt have it as an option, try making a Windows ME boot disk which should give you a DOS prompt when you boot from it.

David said:
As far as I know, there is no DOS mode. I haven't used Windows ME for a while so I could be wrong.

If the F8 menu doesnt have it as an option, try making a Windows ME boot disk which should give you a DOS prompt when you boot from it.

When I boot up this unit it tells me to start in command prompt mode and run scanreg /fix. So how do I get to command prompt?

DuckDodgers said:
When I boot up this unit it tells me to start in command prompt mode and run scanreg /fix. So how do I get to command prompt?

Either open up a DOS session within windows, or when the PC boots before it starts Windows hit F8 and see if there is a command prompt option.

yeah I think booting to a winme boot disk is the only option. As far as I can remember the only options when pressing f8 are normal, safe mode, step by step confirmation and boot logging. Its been a while since I've used that piece of trash excuse for an os but I think thats the only options availible, so make a bootdisk then run chkdisk/f from there.

AFAIK you are forced to use a disc of some sort to boot ME into a DOS enviroment. Unless you modify key system files. The idea of using a disc is much easier. Any install (9X) disc with a boot load files, or regular boot floppy should work.
I like using old Win98 install discs, since they got all the tools you would need, and very common. Plus Cd's don't have the drawback of the slow speeds a floppy has.

There used to be a way to make it boot to 'DOS'. I remember you would edit the MSDOS.SYS file and change the BootGUI=1 to a "0". This will then boot into a C:\> prompt.

Z

EDIT::Also read DuckDodgers post. It doesnt require editing of critical startup files(MSDOS.SYS) but requires you have a floppy drive installed.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips guys. I ended up going to this link ...http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
and downloading a file that creates a bootdisk for Windows ME. I did that and it booted up to the a: prompted... typed FORMAT C: and the rest is history :) so to speak.
That like takes you to a page that has all kinds of files for making boot disks.
Thanks again all.

Back