• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM Win Xp Disks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Airpizza

Will my OEM Dell Win XP home disk work on a new rig w/o any problems? Want to know this before i spend an unescesary 100 dollars on win xp

Try it. If you can activate after the install then everything is fine. But if you can't activate you have the option of switching your xp license to another computer. Call the number activation lists and tell them you want to install xp on another computer, they'll tell you that you can only use that xp on one computer and that you have to uninstall from the other computer, they'll then give you an activation code by phone.

Here's a link from another thread for cheaper xp.
http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=508417/search=xp%20home/fd=1/

Just get a copy from Newegg and they will automatically add THIS for FREE to meet the "hardware" requirement . :)

You dont really want the Dell version do you (Dell logo , Dell add-ons , etc ) :-/

if its a dell "OEM" disc it willnot work in new computers as they are bound to the computer they shipped with, to keep you from moving the software between computers. If it is just a plain OEM disk then it should work.

Sometimes it won't work. I tried a dell windows 2000 OEM cd on a compaq computer and it flashed a message saying that the cd was designed for Dell computers only and it wouldn't install.

I have used a gateway OEM disk for my new system and have had no problems. I had to call and tell them that I am an enthusiast and I am always adding new pieces and reinstalling.

Note: Microsoft considers installing an OEM license of windows on another computer to be piracy :mad:

But, What is "another computer" I mean, heck just move the floppy drive or something. Maby even an IDE cable or SATA cable. :rolleyes:

sunrunner20 said:
Note: Microsoft considers installing an OEM license of windows on another computer to be piracy :mad:

But, What is "another computer" I mean, heck just move the floppy drive or something. Maby even an IDE cable or SATA cable. :rolleyes:

lol ya ive seen that suggestion a few times. but Ill bet there is some fine print somewhere in the realm of microsoft that dictates which items you change determines a "new computer".

As for the CDs, Dell seems to have the sort of 'tightest' locks on thier OEM CDs. Ive been able to use others on different machines w/o too much trouble. But those Dells are a pain

guess we'll have to see once i get the sys built...and what isnt piracy nowadays anyways?

Back