• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 MEM Which should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
OK, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck when it comes to RAM for my A65 3500 and Neo Platinum. I want to OC it and the ram I have not is not doing so well. The bang is more important than the buck, but it cannot be more than $300 for 2X512...

So which of these should I get......

GSkill

or

OCZ

or

PQI Turbo

Or is there something else out there I am not aware of.

Please let me know what you prefer and why. Make them valid reason please.... I like OCZ, or PQI, or.... etc. best is not a reason. I am looking for Facts before dropping $250 to $300. My Mobo and Proc. was only $402 after all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gskill... because it will run at PC3200 @ 2-2-2-5 1T AND it is GUARENTEED to run at 275mhz+ @ 3-4-4-8 1T... No other Brand will make that guarentee.

whats the point in buying over expensive ram, and a DDR booster, more heat being produced, just to generate the same speeds as Gskill?
I can achive the speeds I have with just 2.85vdimm

Osirus said:
Gskill... because it will run at PC3200 @ 2-2-2-5 1T AND it is GUARENTEED to run at 275mhz+ @ 3-4-4-8 1T... No other Brand will make that guarentee.

Thank you for providing a reason. I was leaning toward the OCZ but now I am unsure. Keep the opinions coming...........

orion25 said:
OK, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck when it comes to RAM for my A65 3500 and Neo Platinum. I want to OC it and the ram I have not is not doing so well. The bang is more important than the buck, but it cannot be more than $300 for 2X512...

So which of these should I get......

GSkill

or

OCZ

or

PQI Turbo

Or is there something else out there I am not aware of.

Please let me know what you prefer and why. Make them valid reason please.... I like OCZ, or PQI, or.... etc. best is not a reason. I am looking for Facts before dropping $250 to $300. My Mobo and Proc. was only $402 after all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm deciding the exact same thing you are.

http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2226&p=10

Read this article it reviews both of those ram. The OCZ was able to reach a max of DDR600 while the G-skill was only able to reach DDR285. But I'm not sure if reaching DDR600 is possible with every OCZ ram. They could of just got lucky. Right now I don't know which one to get.

WoW. I was just about to post this same question. X-mas is almost here and now its time to upgrade for free.(hugs his rich a*s parents). Anandtech got lucky with those OCZ PL R2s, thats my 2cents. Gskill has the second best Highest performance marks. 285 at 2.5-4-3 with Gskill is probally going to happen, whereas 290 at 2.5-4-3 is with OCZ Plat, will not happen unless you luck out bigtime. I COULD be WRONG so don't flame me. Gskill is on my xmas list. Ive changed my xmas list about 5 times already, memory is confusing.

I'd go with Gskill just because they GAURENTEE 275+ speedes
I have the PQIs myself and it's running 280+ fine.

Suma.

Osirus said:

The GSkill is the most wise option, in my eyes, for exactly this reason. Heck, I have the PQI's and I'm STILL debating going for the GSkill's. I would not recommend the OCX VX because I have seen very few people achieve anything more than 260FSB, and this clock was with heavy volts on the ram. Also, it doesn't scale with looser timings like TCCD, which runs cooler as well. Also, you'll be able to max AND stablize your overclock with the stock volts provided by your board. No extra $50 needed for the DDR booster.

TCCD for sure; GSkill for sure.

Odie :)

I made a thread asking for people to do ingame benching using tight timmings vs loose timmings like mine and there was only a 3 fps diffrence on a P4 just like mine.

Is thise going to be the same small affect if I put what I have already on an A64 board? Just a tiny tiny diffrence of 3 fps ingame. I really dont care alot about synthetic benchmarking since it means squat compared to what happens in the game itself.

im ordering the 2.5-3-3-7 gskill A GIG FINALLY!!!! w00t w00t holla w00t TOMARROW, im so excieted, its for my soon to be a64 computer, but im putting it in the rig below for now, if i hit 230 i would poo the pants, 2.5ghz on a 3200+!?!?! i dunno, maybe with trats modded bios on my a7n8x-e deluxe

Back