• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this PQI good ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xbladr

I am looking to get ram for my computer. Right now i have an epox motherboard with an amd xp 2800+ nvidia fx5600 256mb and an 80gb ati HD i also have fans all over the machine it's running very cool. I am looking for good ram that will help me overclock im looking for 1gb for under $200

This is the one I was looking at
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-139&depa=0

Any other options or suggestions please feel free to chime in.

While it meets your budget guidelines of under $200, it is probably not your best choice for your AXP setup because of the ram's relaxed timings. It is my understanding that these modules use Hynix chips which are better suited for a high fsb P4 rig. Even running close to 200 the timings can't be tightened up too much on Hynix based ram. Now, if you are not too concerned with the timings and are looking for as a high fsb as possible, then these are a very good choice and priced right.

PQI has another DDR500 product with timings of 2.5-3-3-7 that is made with Samsung TCCD chips. These are capable of running 2-2-2-5 timings at 200-215 or so and much higher at slightly relaxed timings. They sell for just under $240 per gig, including shipping. They are slightly more expensive but offer you much better performance and the added benefit of playing very well with A64 systems shoud you later go that upgrade route. If you are interested in them, just look for the ones with the stated 2.5-3-3-7 timings.

PDP also has their 2-2-2-5 TCCD ram available at newegg for right around $220.

One possible choice for you in the under $200 range is the Buffalo Tech PC3200 with the Micron chips (it is described that way at newegg). These are the same chips that Crucial/Micron speed bin and use in the Ballistix branded ram. The Buffalo Tech PC3200 will probably run 2.5-2-2-11 in your XP rig up to 210-215, then on up to 225-230 or possibly more with relaxed timings depending on your other components and how lucky you get.

Also check for deals on Kingston HyperX PC3200 or similar ram which is available with the Winbond CH-5 chips. These chips work pretty well in XP rigs as they will run 200 at 2-3-2-6 or so timings and can climb up to 235-240 (or more). Here is an example of ch-5 based ram (KHX PC3200 from Outpost for $150, after rebate but before shipping).

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3746176?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Last edited:
just make sure they have brainpower PCB's... pcb's hold back the tccds ..so get the good ones.. if those have them greta jsut get those.. if not go PQI

does anyone know if the patriots have brainpower pcb's? If so then you guys have convinced me and i will order it today. Let me know thanks

Alright well i will be ordering the Patriot soon and ill let you guys know how it is.

Back