• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.3v Vddr mod on msi k8n neo2 / pdp tccd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobmanfoo

Disabled
did a vdimm mod by soldering wires from +3.3v rail to vdimm cap., i modded a pair of molex plugs to act as a brigde to open/close the line. it seems my chips respond well to more voltage as i expected, results:
2.85v
215mhz 2-2-2-5
243mhz 2-3-3-5
260mhz 2.5-3-3-6
280mhz 2.5-4-4-8

3.3v
230mhz 2-2-2-5
255mhz 2-3-3-5
270mhz 2.5-3-3-6
285mhz 2.5-4-4-8

:clap:

EDIT: hmm seems like the ram could use more voltage, when i turn barely turn down the pot on the +3.3 rail my speed and timings get unstable, from 3.34v in bios to 3.3v in bios.
whats the max i could turn up the +3.3v rail with out damaging other components? would damage anything by running with the led on my OCZ powerstream red? its going to turn red if i turn it up alot more, tia
a pic of vdimm mod (original from RebelsHaven): PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK and remember to cool the ram

Attachments

• k8nneo2-4.jpg
    k8nneo2-4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Osirus said:
Can you get more pics of what it looks like?
just added new pic, i don't think gskill sticks like high voltages but you could give it a try

I know they dont need the high volts to achive insane speeds, I was just inquiring on how it was done. Looks nice though!
Could you use a 'on/off' switch to act as a bridge instead of another molex connector?
Have you tested this with a voltmeter yet?

haven't tested with multimeter yet, will do it soon, but my 3.3v rail led is green so it should be ok

an on off switch would work fine, i just used whatever i had laying around

Osirus said:
I know they dont need the high volts to achive insane speeds, I was just inquiring on how it was done. Looks nice though!
Could you use a 'on/off' switch to act as a bridge instead of another molex connector?
Have you tested this with a voltmeter yet?

Ofcourse you can, it does the same thing.
what do you mean by "Tested it with a voltmeter"?

Suma.

testing with a voltmeter will insure there is no fluxuation on the 3.3v line. I would hate to do this to a board and come to find out there is a variation on the 3.3v line. For example, I dont have any way to find out if my 3.3v line is holding stable unless I put a voltmeter on it.

Osirus said:
testing with a voltmeter will insure there is no fluxuation on the 3.3v line. I would hate to do this to a board and come to find out there is a variation on the 3.3v line. For example, I dont have any way to find out if my 3.3v line is holding stable unless I put a voltmeter on it.
well i don't know my exact voltage but according to mbm5 and corecenter, it goes from 3.33v-3.34v, so very little fluctuation

Osirus said:

Oh I see what you ment there.
Well my modded TP550w's 3.3v is @ 3.45v rock stable, idle/stress it doesn't care :)

Suma.

Nice Suma... well I know the Gskill doesnt need insane volts to get insane speeds.. plus I dont like to generate more heat then needed. Its a nice and simple mod though! IF I ever go SLI, Ill mod this board just to see how it works.
Until then, no modding for me!
If we can get more people to do this, I vote sticky!

Osirus, someone on xtremesystems gave his gskill 3.3v and it worked out well for him....

bobmanfoo said:
Osirus, someone on xtremesystems gave his gskill 3.3v and it worked out well for him....

that was me.

3.28v (abit bios) seemed to let me run 2-x-x-x into the high 260's

<3.0v it wouldnt

seemed to help tighten timings more than higher HTT/FSB

Back