• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!!! Switched 2 ide cables :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

Alright, I installed a ATI silencer 4 on my x800, but when installing the x800 I noticed that the silencer hit some cables....

So I switched the 2 ide cables that are plugged into the mb. The 1st ide cable had just 1 hd on it, while the other one had 2 cd drives.....

After I got everything installed again, I started up the comp, and it took FOREVER to load. It got to windows, and then just sat there. I could move the mouse around w/ no lag, but avast, zonealarm, and APC wouldn't start..

Avast was in the taskbar, so I clicked on it and it said "AVAST subsystem has detected a RCP error" or something like that...

After about 2 mins, avast finally loaded properly and then zonealarm and APC did.....

So I took everything out, switched the cables back (to their orginal places) and I'm STILL getting this problem...the interent didn't even work until about 10 mins after I start windows.....

So I restored my system to a restore point created Monday morning, and i'm STILL having this problem!!!!

Please help me! All I did is switch where 2 diff ide cables plug into the mb, but then I switched them back....That is ALL i did, I didn't change anything else at all...

It just seems like it takes FOREVER to load. Windows starts, I can click on stuff, but if I do click on something, it won't open til avast and everything else that is suppose to start up, starts up....

I uninstalled avast 2 times, w/ no luck....

PLEASE HELP! :(

NO! I prob should reformat, but I'd rather not right now......

I checked Event Viewer (administrative tools), and I got 2 errors and 2 warnings...
errors
"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206."
"The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error."

Warnings
"Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. "
"Windows saved user MIKE\Administrator registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account."

Then under system, there are a BUNCH of errors...but they are all the same and happen once a sec for about a min, right after I start up the comp..

"The IP address lease 0.0.0.0 for the Network Card with network address 00508DF91265 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)."

I also noticed that in Device Manager, under computer, it is "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"...I KNOW I changed it awhile back to "Advanced COnfiguration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". So should I change it back?

I flashed my bios awhile ago, so that might have reset it. Or maybe switching the ide cables did it....lol

Any ideas?

Oh yea, isn't there a folder that cache's programs, etc...to make windows run faster?

I've heard that you should delete this folder everyonce inawhile and have windows make a new one...maybe that got messed up or something...
Just a shot in the dark :(

the folder you speak of is the prefetch folder, it only exists in windows XP and its found in X:\%systemroot%\Prefetch I would also take a peak at your boot.ini file, switching cables around and then booting the system may cause things to change in order to look in the right place for the boot files, which would possibly cause the bad slowdowns. I would also try reinstalling the drivers for the various components in your system like your NIC card, RAID controllers if there are any on the mobo or maybe SATA? Video card, and possibly chipset drivers as well.

Back