• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any way to strip win2000 or winXP down even more?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Ive stripped down my windows2000 version so that it runs with less than 10 services... thanks to blackviper

I want to have the least amout of programs, and the most amount of memory possible....

Any more ways of "stripping down" w2000 or wXP even more?

by installing more RAM? lol sorry. but dang! 10 processes? The best I got on my old XP system was the low 20s. Though several of them were things like AV, Driver processes and I kept themes on as well but wow. 10 is surprising. As far as trimming it down more, blackviper's guides are some of the best there are. I cant really think of anything else you could disable. Maybe also look into turning off as many menu/window animations as you want in XP under the folder options. I'd check out annoyances.org to see if they got anything else you could trim off.

You can use xplite to remove windows components / programs. I played with it once and was not crazy about it.

Also, if you want to use your winxp disc to make your own xp build, you can try nlite. There is a whole forum at msfn.org devoted to nlite. Even if you don't reduce your xp build, you can use nlite to create unattended installs - specifying computer name, time zone, etc, and to automatically install drivers, etc (such as dx9) on windows install. Good program.

rayik said:
You can use xplite to remove windows components / programs. I played with it once and was not crazy about it.

Also, if you want to use your winxp disc to make your own xp build, you can try nlite. There is a whole forum at msfn.org devoted to nlite. Even if you don't reduce your xp build, you can use nlite to create unattended installs - specifying computer name, time zone, etc, and to automatically install drivers, etc (such as dx9) on windows install. Good program.

wow just downloaded nlite and poked around in it, that is really cool looking. Gonna have to try it out :)

Hmmm always wanted to setup an unattened install of windows myself. Well guess it gives me a chance to give it a whirl. Now just need to figure out how to disable services, install drivers, install programs with just a click of the button :)

Como said:
its called ghosting :)

LOL by the time I get my computer up and running, I don't even think about ghosting because I'm eager to do something on it. I'm sure quiet of bit of others are the same way.

Besides unattended installs can be changed by editing files, and changing program loadouts. Then again this not what the posts about.

Damn 10 services, took me a while to grasp that hehe, thats just plain amazing. Must have some quick boot times.

I have my XP below 20. Right now I have 19 with Kaspersky AV, MBM5, Trillian, SpySweeper, and my browser running.

why? Because i like a lean operating system thats why...

hell, i'd still be running my windows 98SE on the 95 core if so many games werent incompatible with it...

You think XP boots fast? Try booting Win98

barebones 98 on a current machine is hella fast....but it cant be used for more than 5 hours because it cant handle leaky programs. it just eats up ram untill its out, then BSOD's...because programs arent perfect.

im still impressed how fast XP can boot on older systems wiht newer hard drives...and i cant WAIT till i get my server up and get some ghosting action!

Como said:
barebones 98 on a current machine is hella fast....but it cant be used for more than 5 hours because it cant handle leaky programs. it just eats up ram untill its out, then BSOD's...because programs arent perfect.

im still impressed how fast XP can boot on older systems wiht newer hard drives...and i cant WAIT till i get my server up and get some ghosting action!

thats why you use a memory management program with windows 98.

besides, the windows 98 that i use isnt exactly windows 98.

Its windows 98 with the windows 95 shell, so its much much more stable... not to mention much faster and leaner as well.

(windows 95 shell was the most stable win9x shell ever made)

Back