• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backup to USB drives in W2K Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arden

I am trying to use windows backup to backup server data files to 2 USB drives. What I want to do is alternate the 2 drives every other day so I can take a drive offsite for security. I have named both drives the same and can get it to backup, but when I switch drives it does not backup the second day.Both drives are the same make, model and size. Is this posible or do I need different software?

this should be possible one thing to check is when you are hooking up the new drive is it assigned the same drive letter? and I assume you mean ntbackup when you refer to windows backup? I currently have this setup on a client, with a 3 drive rotation. Make sure you have all proper drivers isntalled for both drives (if they are different models) and make sure you reboot the first time you hook up the drives. Such as hook up one drive and reboot, then unplug it from windows (using the USB manager thing) and then hook up the other and reboot to make sure all necesary drivers are loaded. The main thing to check would be drive letters, if the drives are assigned different letters when they are connected (you must not have them both attached at the same time btw) but if one letter is wrong, go into computer management and change the drive letter to match the other drive, then try reconnecting to see if it holds the right letter.

Hope this helps :)

That is how I have it setup, and it is ntbackup. Both drivers same make and model and assigned same drive letter (E). If I tell it to backup now all is fine, but schedule backup does not want to run.

Back